TEACHING THEM WHAT COUNTS

 




“Teaching kids to count is fine;

but, teaching them what counts is best.”

Bob Talbert


Last afternoon, a husband and a wife had come to meet me. They wanted to enroll their son for class 11. As usual, I kept addressing them as ‘Sir’ and ‘Ma’am’. As the discussion was progressing, the woman, with a slight amusement, said, “Sir, my husband was your student some thirty years ago… You shouldn’t call him ‘Sir’.”

Well, only after I learnt, that I had taught this gentleman three decades ago, I began to remember him… He was very lean and boyish… Now, he had put on a lot of weight and grown a thick beard, too. Moreover, they both seemed quite affluent the way they carried themselves…

Would I change the gear and call him by his first name, now?

“Annadata sukhibhava,” I said to the woman, a little playfully, but really meaning what I was saying, “A parent is a parent, Ma’am… My student is a parent now… Addressing him as ‘Sir’ will help both of us.”





Just in the morning, yesterday, I tried to contact a young man, who I had taught some fifteen years ago. It was in connection with something I wanted to consult him. Here is how it went…

“Good morning Rohan*, this is Gerry Sir here. Hope you are doing good. Wanted to talk to you for a few minutes. Can you please tell me when can I call you? I had messaged you some two weeks ago. Probably, you have been busy. I had also called you.”

The blue tick on my WhatsApp message had convinced me, that Rohan had seen my message. But, for reasons best known to him, he hadn’t responded… The call had generated an automatic response: “I am busy… Call you later.”

So, here was I, attempting to get in touch with my ex-student, once again, after two weeks…

“10 minutes,” came the reply, this time.

“Should I call you after ten minutes, Rohan?” I  checked.

“Yes.”

“Thanx Rohan, I will call you in ten minutes.”

Exactly after ten minutes, I called Rohan… “Hi Rohan, how are you doing? Hope I am not bothering you.”

“Gerry, this is regarding what?”

Somehow, I did not feel comfortable to proceed with whatever I wanted to discuss with my ex-student, who, I knew was doing ‘really well’ for himself. Thus, I changed the topic and gracefully ended the discussion…

I was wondering, whether, fifteen years ago, I had taught a young kid only counting in life, or what really counted in life…


*Name changed




 

GERALD D’CUNHA

 

Pic’s.:1. Josh Willink/Mikhail Nilov 

Video: Rounded Cube

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...