WHAT IS VERY, VERY GOOD LIVES VERY, VERY LONG




“A river cuts through rock not because of its power;

but, because of its persistence.”

– James Watkins

 

What is good –- I mean very, very good –- lives very, very long. Fads and jingoism, no matter how viral you make them in today’s world of reels, hello, I am telling you – all the Gen -z’s and Gen Alpha or whatever that is… Yes, focus on being good, creating good stuff that really lives long… not for the next twenty-four hours… Do it in such a way, that just the word of mouth spreads your work – and you – through generations…

Old school? Outdated advice?

On this birthday of mine (24/7), I decided take a day off from my daily grind of teaching, writing etc. We cooked some fine delicacies and decided to have the birthday lunch at the residence of an elderly uncle and aunt. They were thrilled… and to see the joy in their hearts was extremely fulfilling for us…

From there, we proceeded to watch ‘Odyssey’ at the iconic cinema hall –- ‘Eros’ at Churchgate.

I hadn’t been to Eros after its renovation. What a beauty it is now! Started sometime in 1935 by the Parsi family (Cambata family), this cinema house has endured the test of time even in today’s multiplex obsession… The old charm is intact… The experience of watching a movie here is sublime!

After the movie, around 8 p.m., we decided to have our birthday dinner at the newly-opened The Rameshwaram Café. Now, let me tell you this: The young couple – Raghavendra and Divya Rao -- had started this South Indian café in Bangalore just about five years ago (2021). They, soon, opened their branches in Hyderabad, Pune and Mumbai. To me, it’s the maiden experience… As the banana leaves were waiting to be filled with their amazing delicacies, I wondered: “Will this restaurant, housed in the very Eros Building (earlier known as ‘Cambata Building’) live through the test of time? A hundred years later, would our grandchildren say this: “Hey, they are a heritage breed”?






As a strange coincidence, we had chosen to watch Christopher Nolan’s labour of love –- ‘Odyssey’. More than the movie, I was thinking about the passion and commitment of this man… He has to his credit just some fourteen movies, including Batman series and Odyssey. Yes, just fourteen movies… He doesn’t seem obsessed to expand his empire like Mughals. Agreed, Nolan has created this in a time of social media and reels. But, Sir, it is his passionate work –- the uncompromising dedication to his craft –- that has been helping him to make his movies iconic…

Finally, I was thinking aloud of Homer –- who wrote those two poems ‘Iliad’ and ‘Odyssey’ –- more than 850 years before Christ. How often we use the phrase ‘Latin & Greek’ to describe a stuff we do not understand! And, think of this Greek stuff… the long, long poems… Have we understood them? Loved them? Lived them?






What is good –- I mean, very, very good –- lives very, very long. Yes, that’s what I wanted to say in this Post…

Gen Z’s and Gen Alpha’s will come and go, will come and go…

go, will come and go…

 

GERALD D’CUNHA

 

Pic’s: 1. Travel+Leisure  2. curlytales.com  3. 

Video: Universal Pictures

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BUT, NOT INTO EACH OTHER'S KEEPING...

THE SPANISH DANCE

THEY NEED SUN, NOT TOO MUCH SHADE

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...