COAT OF MANY COLOURS

 



“The way I see it, if you want the rainbow,

you gotta put up with the rain.”

-     Dolly Parton

 

A couple of days ago, a lady called me seeking some help for her young son, her only child. She held a good position in a large organization. “Sir, my son is doing his grade 10 in so and so school (one of the sought-after ones). He is excellent in his studies, and communication… He is a voracious reader and writes, too, well. But, I want him to learn how to structure his presentations better, face interviews efficiently (for studies abroad, perhaps) and manage some of his anxiety…”

From my experience, parents of grade 10 students, normally, are so stuck with academics, that they don’t think about things like soft skills. But, here was a mother, who, apparently, wanted her young son to be ‘perfect’, the ‘best’. I tried to calm her down saying, “Ma’am, from what you said, I understand, that your son is a bright young boy. Trust me, he doesn’t need any additional help… Let him figure out those few things on his own.”

But, the mother was insistent. The next day, she came to see me along with her boy. Incidentally, there were four of my ex-students (all of them between the age 45 and 50). All of them had come from financially-struggling families, studied in local schools, done their higher studies alongside their jobs, and now were doing exceptionally well in life. Organically, they got involved in the discussion… They heard the mother and the son… and, unanimously, they said the same thing: “Ma’am, he already possesses what you are looking for.”

The boy was bright… He stole our hearts in those 20-30 minutes while he presented himself before us…

Then, what was that ‘missing something’, which would make this young boy ‘perfect’ or ‘the best'?

I was thinking about myself, and each of my so-called ‘successful’ ex-students were thinking about themselves, and we wondered: “If we have come this far with literally nothing at our disposal, won’t this kid go far despite having everything at his?”

Well, that’s how parenting and schooling are around us…

FOMO -– fear of missing out -- drives one crazy… It reminds me of the line:

“Knee-deep in water; yet, dying of thirst.”





Dolly Parton was one of my favourite Country singers. Two days ago, when she passed away at 80, several people were sharing one of her famous songs -– ‘Coat of Many Colours’…

I, too, was playing that song, here, over and over again… and, thinking about the clothes (not coats) that we wore and sandals we wore or didn’t wear… as kids. And, yes, I was thinking about these  young kids and their Mamas around us…





I had started this Post with Dolly Parton’s words… Let me end, too, with them:

“The way I see it, if you want the rainbow,

you gotta put up with the rain.”

 

GERALD D’CUNHA


Pic.: 1, Michael Luenen/Pixabay   2. Paul Natkin/Getty Images

Video: Dolly Parton

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BUT, NOT INTO EACH OTHER'S KEEPING...

THE SPANISH DANCE

THEY NEED SUN, NOT TOO MUCH SHADE

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...