GENUINE GEMS ARE RECOGNISED IN THE DARK

 



“Genuine gems are recognized in the dark.”


― Kamaran Ihsan Salih

 

I may love writing and I may love reading. But, my friends, loved ones and well-wishers may or may not. And, I have learnt to say, “That’s perfectly fine.”

My love for writing and reading came only during my degree-college days. Before that, I was nowhere near the books or the pen. Typewriter and a computer were distant realities.

Thus, today, when I write relentlessly and read voraciously, and when my fellowmen don’t, I just continue saying, “That’s is perfectly fine.”

I, also, see little kids around me who are into a great deal of writing and reading, and I remind myself saying, “Hey, unlike these little kids, I bloomed late… and, that’s, also, perfectly fine.”

If only I learn to be kind to myself, I am able to be kind to others around me. Everyone around me needn’t feel good about himself/herself only through the ‘good habits’ of reading and writing…

An ex-student of mine, who is a dear friend now, is a HR head of an organization. Two years before Covid, she had contributed a small sum for our Centre. In gratitude, I kept sending many of our books to her address. Two days ago, I messaged her saying, that I would be sending a copy of my latest blog book (‘FINDING EXTRAORDINARY IN THE ORDINARY’). My friend sent this quick reply:

“Sir, I have a small request. Please don’t send anymore books for now. We haven’t been able to read the books you sent earlier; and, honestly, I feel quite bad about it. Because, I truly value the thought and effort behind your gesture. I would rather finish reading the books we already have, before receiving anymore. I hope you won’t mind.

And, sorry for the late response. I am late for home today, as well.  Too much work pressure. You take care and give my regards to your family.”

I could clearly sense the honesty in my friend’s expression. I let her know, that she didn’t have to feel bad, as she wasn’t alone in not being able to read books as others would expect her to. But, I said, “In expressing your genuine feelings so honestly, you stand out from others.”





I remembered, how, when I had just developed a keen interest in reading and writing, an elderly nun, Sr. Lawrence, had travelled hundreds of miles –- from her convent to my remote village -- to personally gift me a brand-new edition of ‘New American Webster’s Encyclopedic Dictionary’. This nun was not related to me… She was a fellow-nun and a friend of my aunt (Dad’s sister) Sr. Leo. My aunt, apparently, had conveyed to Sr. Lawrence about my thirst for reading and writing. Hence, Sr. Lawrence (she and my aunt, both, are no more) decided to come all the way –- hundreds of miles away –- to gift me that treasure. It had a special section called Writers’ Guide, besides sections on Synonyms and Antonyms, Proverbs and Quotations, Etymology, and much, much more. Imagine, the thought that went behind that gesture… How I wish Sr. Lawrence and  Sr. Leo were alive today  to witness the impact of their generosity! The Universe had conspired and ensured, that the priceless treasure reached the deserving hands, hundreds of miles afar!

When our final-year B. Com exams approached, my friends, Joe, Paul and Johnny would spend nights at my place, so that they could learn Accountancy from me (Prof. Raman effect!). None of them had developed the thirst for reading or writing as I had. The New-found Treasure was inseparable from me… Johnny was a jolly-good-fellow. In the night, after all went off to sleep, he would quietly pluck a couple of beedis from my Dad’s pack… and amuse us saying this:

“Listen guys, when I die, remember to place a pack of beedis with a match box in my coffin; and, when this fellow (Gerry) dies, remember to place his Encyclopedic dictionary.”

We have no idea where is Johnny today… and, none of us can tell whether or not the first part of his wish will be fulfilled. But, I am still around, and hope the other part of Johnny’s prophecy will come true…




GERALD D’CUNHA

 

Pic’s.: Pixabay 1. Karolina Grabowska  2. StockSnap

Video: CBS Evening News

Comments

Anonymous said…
Well written Jerry. Hope to find Johnny, before our Golden jubilee celebration in 2029 . That's the completion of our B com degree.

Popular posts from this blog

BUT, NOT INTO EACH OTHER'S KEEPING...

THE SPANISH DANCE

THEY NEED SUN, NOT TOO MUCH SHADE

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...