BOOKS ARE A UNIQUELY PORTABLE MAGIC

 



“A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone,

if it is to keep its edge.”


― George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones

 

Some days ago, when I was about to retire for the day, I happened to see a message from a stranger. He wrote:

“Mr. Gerald, last week, I had been to my friend’s house (Nitin Arora), where I found your new blog book and got immediately attracted towards it. Seeing my face, Nitin immediately handed the book to me saying, ‘You know my allergy for the books… Take it, you will love it.’… Thus, I am the proud owner of your book… Let me tell you, I haven’t put it down!”

Well, I was hugely  flattered, and got a sound sleep that night!

Nitin was one of my dear ex-students. He is well-placed in life. A few months ago, when I had approached him for the subscription of these ten-book series, he gladly did. But, he said the same thing to me, “Gerry Sir, you know my allergy for the books. So, this subscription is not for your books, but for you.”

My reply was the standard one: “Nitin, rest assured; it will reach some deserving hands… ‘Daane daane pe likha hai khaane wale ka naam.”

The book, thus, had reached the serving hands of Nitin’s frind, who is a stranger to me.





Some forty-six years ago, when I was a stranger in this big city, jobless and hungry, I had found on the footpath, near Churchgate station, an overused and torn copy of Napoleon Hill’s classic, ‘Think and Gow Rich’… “This book could be worth a million dollars to you” was flashed on the cover… I picked it up, perhaps, for five or ten rupees.

The book caused a revolution in my hungry heart… I found myself reading it over and over and over again… Till, one night, I decided to come out of my excuses, saying, “Enough of self-pity.”

When I found this book, here on the streets of Bombay, Napoleon Hill had long gone there in America. I don’t know how many hands that particular copy must’ve changed, and in how many hearts it must’ve caused similar revolution… But, that copy was destined to reach my deserving hands…

In the same manner, every book I have ever picked on the streets –- has reached my hands… “Haanji, daane daane pe likha hai khane wale ka naam”.





I remember that night, some seventeen years ago. I was returning from my hometown, Mangalore, by train. It was 31st December. Around 11.30 p.m., my phone rang… “Hello Sir, this is Yashodha, your ex-student, the voice cracked with apprehension, “My husband, Kumar, wants to talk to you for a few minutes.”

Kumar, who worked for BARC, wanted to thank me for my book –- ‘Vaachas Chame –- Lord, grant me the power of expression’ -– which had reached his hands through his wife, Yashodha. Many months before that, I was invited to attend a reunion of my first batch of students at Atomic Energy Junior College. I had carried 100 copies of ‘Vaachas Chame’ and asked the organizing committee to gift them to each student and teacher who had attended that reunion. Yashoda took the book home… and, the book was destined to reach the hands of her husband, who was a total stranger to me. Apparently, Kumar had loved that book so much, that (he told me during the conversation) he kept nudging Yashodha to thank me for it, and tell how her husband loved it. But, Yashodha, being shy and a lot apprehensive, couldn’t bring herself to do it. Finally, Kumar had pumped inside her enough courage to say “Hello Sir” that new-year’s eve. “Gerry, I told Yashodha, we need to express our gratitude and appreciation before another year ends… “Thank you so much; I thoroughly loved your book. Good night… A Happy New Year to you and your family.”

Did I get a sound sleep during the rest of my train journey?

I remembered what Stephen King had said: Books are a uniquely portable magic.”

 





GERALD D’CUNHA

 

Pic’s.: pixabay.com

 

Video: PBS NewsHour

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BUT, NOT INTO EACH OTHER'S KEEPING...

CHIKNI CHAMELI...

THE SPANISH DANCE

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...