WHEN SOMEONE GOES SILENT
“I blinked my eyes
and in an instant,
decades had passed.”
― John Mark Green, ‘Taste the Wild Wonder: Poems’
An
old neighbour of mine had invited us to visit their home… The Ganesha was to
leave for the visarjan, late last evening. Before visiting their house,
I visited another resident of that colony, where a friend of mine lived with his
wife. A month ago, late one night, this friend had messaged me, saying, that
the cancer (of his wife) had relapsed, and this time, aggressively at multiple
places. Two surgeries later, and after a clear chit from some renowned Oncologists
at Tata Memorial and elsewhere, my friend was unable to believe, that the
relapse could happen. Anyway, he stood like a rock beside his wife, who had to
undergo very strong Chemo’s (surgeries were ruled out)… Today morning at 7, the
last chemo was scheduled… When I met my friend and his wife, late last evening,
I could sense the anxiety behind the smiling faces…
“Be strong, Ma’am…
Be strong, my friend… All will go well… We are praying.” Were these not just words, no matter how
sincerely expressed?
Then, I visited
Ganesha… “Lord, have mercy on the distressed family… Please give them strength
and hope.” Yes, I prayed with folded hands to Vigneshwara…
“Just words?
Just faith?”
Lord knows…
Thirty-four
years ago, one morning, I was teaching in my classroom. Melvyn, my
brother-in-law, came with a message (no phones at home, leave alone mobiles)… “Gerry,
Flavy (that’s how my wife is called by the family) delivered a baby boy.”
Our son,
Kenrick, wanted to come out weeks before the scheduled time… Well, I wound up
my class and rushed to the nursing home. Then, from a nearby PCO, I called up a
few dear and near ones to share the good news. One of them was Late Dr. V. K.
Iya’s residence (at Saras Baug). He was the Group Director (Isotope) at BARC.
He was personally handpicked by Dr. Homi Bhaba… and, I was privileged to teach
his second daughter, Rekha, at their bungalow. Sir was such a fine gentleman, unbelievably
unassuming… He and his wife (who he would call ‘Shrimati’) treated me
like their own son. And, for a new comer in this big city, who still carried
the heavy baggage of low self-confidence, an acceptance meant validity… the world!
So, that
morning, Mrs. Iya picked the phone, “Good morning aunty, there is good news: We
got a baby boy.”
There was
silence from the other end. “Aunty, are you there?” I asked.
“Yes, yes… I am
there. I am very happy. Congratulations to both of you, and blessings to the
baby boy.”
I was a bit
puzzled about that short pause Mrs. Iya had given before responding… But, I
left it at that.
Some moths earlier, THE DAWN CLUB had brought out its latest edition of the inspirational magazine
– ‘THE BLOOM’. We had made a cover story on Dr. Homi Bhabha in our ‘Great
Motivators’ series. Dr. Iya had written the cover story alongside renowned scientists
from BARC, Dr. Murthy and Dr. S.M. Rao. Late Mr. Tapan Basu, the exceptionally
gifted artist, had done the cover… Dr. Iya was kind enough to organise for us
some amazing images from BARC library…
When the Magazine
was out, I sent my office assistant to Dr. Iya’s house to handover a couple of
copies. Mrs. Iya opened the door to receive the magazine copies. My assistant,
when he returned, was glowing with confidence… “Madam asked my name, “ he said,
“When I said ‘Vasudev’, she was very happy and said… ‘Bahut achcha, beta…
Bhagwan ka naam hai’.”
Dr. Vasudeva Kilara
Iya was born on September 16, 1927… He would have completed 100 next September…
I am connecting the
dots… Why Mrs. Iya went silent when I gave her the good news of our son’s
arrival… Why she said to my office assistant – “Bahut achcha, beta… Bhagwan
ka naam hai”
Dr. V. K. Iya (center) being felicitated by former P.M. Late Dr. Manmohan Singh,
Early this
morning, the elder daughter of Dr. Iya, Dr. Vidya (a Cardiologist in Leelavati
Hospital) messaged me:
“Gerry, please wish
your son, Kenrick, a happy b’day… May all his wishes come true and have a long
and healthy life.”
I knew, along
with families of Dr. Vidya and Rekha,
our family, too, were remembering the gentle soul –- a very rare gem -- Dr. V. K. Iya.
There
was another message, early this morning, which, a die-hard reader and a
well-wisher of mine had sent from America: “Long time, no blog.”
I smiled and
replied instantly, “A dry spell is on, ma’am… Perhaps, your drizzle might cause
a bloom, today.”
Frankly, I wanted
to tell her this: “Ma’am, the world doesn’t revolve around my blogs, you see.”
GERALD D’CUNHA
Pic’s: 1. Pixabay/jplenio 2. Pixel 3. Tapan Basu 4. Rekha Bhartee
Video: Ganeshaya Dheemathi

Comments