BEFORE YOU JOIN A BUSINESS SCHOOL

 



“People look for greatness only in the extraordinary and completely overlook the wonder of the ordinary.”

Ann Tatlock Quotes

 

This young man –- let me name him Sahil* –- is an MBA aspirant. He was expected to come to me for a ‘grooming’ session at 11, this morning. Sapna*, his mother, who was my student several years ago, had requested me to ‘polish’ her boy to a join a good business school.

Grooming, polishing, finishing, and business schools -- I, often, find them a lot hyped up. “Why do you search for goodness outside, while it lies right inside you?” I ask parents and their young kids, “Why don’t you start with small things, which are right within your reach?”

“Good evening Sahil. Hope, you will be there at 11, tomorrow morning. Please confirm,” I messaged the young MBA aspirant, last evening. As he did not respond to my message even after two hours, I forwarded the message to Sapna, asking her to check with Sahil. She instantly replied:

“Good evening Sir. Yes, Sahil will be there at 11 tomorrow. I will ask him to respond, too. Regards.”

Just a minute after that, I saw Sahil’s message:

“Yes.”

I took a long breath. When the breath ended, I wrote to him:

“Dear Sahil, I am sharing Mom’s reply, and I want you to refine yours. Reason: Such fine lessons will not be taught in any Business School. I want you to be a lot mindful about little things in life. Love you, dear.”

I tagged Sapna with a note: “Sapna, I just imparted a subtle lesson to your young boy. Hope, he sees the point I am trying to make.”

“Thank you, Sir… It’s much needed,” Sapna ended the late-night conversation…

I was remembering another similar episode. The only difference: the person involved in this episode was not a Business School aspirant, but the Director of one of the premier Business Schools in the city. I had met him earlier and he had shared his number and asked me to communicate through this number. Last night, when I checked: I found, that five of my messages and two phone calls were left unattended. The messages had been delivered, and the phone was ringing…

Too busy to send even a bland (blunt) response like Sahil’s?

Or, was it right on my part to ‘judge’ this Head of the Business School?

Well, these kinds of things –- lack of sensitivity –- is rampant among educators and educated alike…

The speed of the leader is the speed of the gang. An old saying that is…

“If you wanna change the world, start off with making your bed.” This was Admiral McRaven‘s famous advice to the educators and educated alike…




So much for our search for ‘gold’ outside of ourselves!

 

*Names changed


GERALD D’CUNHA

 

Pic’s: Pixabay/Alexas Fotos

Video: The University of Texas at Austin

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BUT, NOT INTO EACH OTHER'S KEEPING...

LOVE NEEDS TO BE MADE LIKE A BREAD

CHIKNI CHAMELI...

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...