WHY DID I CRY TODAY?

It happens, sometimes, when I read about Christ's life. Or about the lives of my other heroes - Gandhi or Martin Luther King Jr. Either I experience goose pimples, or I simply cry.

I have failed to understand the mystery behind this phenomenon. Why do I get the goosebumps? Why do tears roll down my cheeks?

Maybe because I admire them so much. For the kind of challenges they faced, the goodness they spread, for the leadership they provided. I am incredibly inspired by them. I am overwhelmed by the impact they have left on the mankind. Yes, may be because of these reasons, my hair stands straight, my eyes weep.

A small challenge makes me chicken out, develop cold feet. When faced with discouragement and criticism, I tend to turn cynical, and give up. And, I am talking about small challenges, the ordinary battles of my life. My heroes took upon them tasks of Herculean proportion. The mortals never dare near them. That's why their lives are legends; that's why, the price for their leadership was so high.

I know, I need courage and strength to face my own little challenges. I know, I need inspiration. So, when I read about the lives of my heroes, my fears dissolve, my heart gets filled with courage and strength. I find hope; I find the reason to hang on.

And, today, when every TV channel, every newspaper - on every nook and corner of the world - hailed this dark and lean man called Barrack Obama, my body froze, and eyes welled. I felt, "Here is a man - and he will be special, his struggles will be special, his impact will be special." I had this familiar sensation, this hunch about it ... and, I simply cried.

The world Obama is going to lead is not faced with ordinary challenges; they are mighty ones. And, I have a strong impulse within me, that this leader, this Star, has risen on the horizons at the right time, for the right cause.

Hail Obama! I am already inspired!


GERALD D'CUNHA

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

WHEN A BIRD IS ALIVE, IT EATS ANTS... WHEN THE BIRD DIES, ANTS EAT THE BIRD

"WE CHOOSE OUR JOYS AND SORROWS LONG BEFORE WE EXPERIENCE THEM."

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...