THE ACID TEST

"Why, what is my mistake?" Rahul, my 11th-standard student yelled back at me in the packed class room. The room could feel the weight of his bloated pride. Unnerved, I went close to him, held him by his arm, and roared with the matching pride, "Your mistake was: you argued with me, your teacher. Go out, I will speak to you after the class."

Rahul collected his books, and went away, with out waiting to meet me.

Now, it was the second 'sin', Rahul committed. Unable to bear this, I went on a marathon speech before the rest of his clan. I was angry, hurt and even frustrated by the 'arrogance' and 'attitude' these little kids threw around their teachers, their total disrespect, their insensitive behaviour, their indifference to advice ... and all that which I stood for, and they didn't. "There are two people in your life... and never, ever argue with them," I shouted. "Your parents and your teachers."

The class listened to me, almost spell-bound. Maybe, frightened!

Rahul, Harshal and Viren. In the entire class, I have problem with only these 'three-of-a-kind'. You start with the obvious strategy: making them sit away - much away - from each other. Still, look at this: You try to draw Viren's attention, Rahul has to turn towards him and say something, which would make our Harshal laugh, which, in turn, would make our Rahul 'bugged' and say something nasty, which would make Viren say, 'shut up' ... all in chain reaction ... and all this as others get disturbed and even fed up with ... And all this, as I, their teacher, watch helplessly.

Your next strategy: Let them know, that you don't like or approve their behaviour. And, so, tell them loudly and clearly to stop it. "Mend your ways, before you invite some trouble."

They are super cool about it. Super indifferent. So, you adopt your next strategy: You talk to them privately; that, too, individually. Else, the chain reaction would spoil this attempt, as well. They listen, and promise to mend their ways. You feel relieved by it. You hope, things would change for the better.

Just after two days, Behold! There they go again!

You are 'bugged'. You react, shout, preach ... and, they blissfully 'giggle and laugh! "Get out all of you; Come with your parents, if you wish to continue here."

Viren's mother is not prepared to accept the fact that her son is a culprit. "It is Rahul; he makes my son laugh. It has been going on since class five."

Hashal's father, holding is son by the arm, confers on me the power of attorney: "Sir, mein aapko full right detha hoon - Is ko pakadke maaro ... Saala, ye isi tharika se sudrega."

Rahul's mom tells me: "Sir, we all are frustrated with him at home. He doesn't listen to any of us. For every thing, he has to argue and back-answer. We have given up on him."

Now, tell me: What should I do with these 'three musketeers'? Harshal ko pakadke maroon? Or, declare Viren - 'Not Guilty'? Or, continue my obsession to 'fix' Rahul?

I am really confused. As of now, Rahul has gone, least bothered to even meet me after the class. Probably, he thinks he hasn't done any thing wrong.

That means, I have!

Now that I am not 'inside the furnace'. I am able to see that, I have a choice here. That is:

I can be be either 'right' ...
Or, I can be at peace with myself.

"Never, ever dare to argue with a 'chor' or a 'police'" ... Probably, I can advice my students with this one. Yes, as one more choice!


GERALD D'CUNHA

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...