THE JOY OF SELF-DISCOVERY


















An hour ago, a young girl – a twelfth-standard student of mine - was on line. She had ‘a doubt’ and she wanted me to help her... I did that over the phone. But, madam’s Pandora Box opened and doubts started popping out one after another… till I gently said to her this: “Madam, enough now. This way, you will go nowhere; in fact, I am doing more harm to you… I have taught you for two full years – in eleventh as well as twelfth – I have revised your chapters twice, held so many tests… and, still you seem to cling on to me. Stop that now… Trust in your abilities, take a few risks… and explore on your own. That’s the only way you can feel confident. In no other way, ma’am. Please do that, right away.”

I hung the phone!


Tomorrow will be the exam. I really do not know if she understood what I have said… There was a choice before me: to keep helping her with her doubts till her Pandora Box would be empty. But, just after three or four doubts, I strongly felt I should tell her what I did… When she will come tomorrow, I will address this issue in the class so that it will benefit others, too.


I have spent close to thirty-five years coaching young students… But, my biggest regret has always been this: I have robbed them of their precious initiative… their deep urge to take the first step, and then go the extra-mile… their sense of wonder - the awe of the unknown… their excitement to explore on their own… their readiness to take enough chances, risks… their inexpressible sense of pride on discovering the answers through their own curiosity, search and struggles…


Yes, that has been my greatest regret!


In the name of teaching, helping and success – all that we teachers do is provide them the ready-made patterns, methods, formulae… and, we promise them success if they followed them obediently… In the process, we make them desperately dependent on us… we take away their initiative… their risks… their curiosity… their exploring thirst… and, deprive them of that stupendous thrill of ‘discovering’ on their own…


Self-confidence stands on self-trust… It comes from our trust in this inexhaustible Universe… the trust that there is so much for each one of us ‘out there’… that, we need not be scared, insecure… we need not walk on the ‘trodden path’, always… that, the joy of self-discovery is a matchless joy… that the more we rely on our own inner strengths, the more we will gain self-confidence… and, above all, there is no hurry and a time-frame for creative learning…


Incidentally, my wife, today, shared with me an inter-active speech of Kamal Hassan before students and teachers of IIT. I was amazed by the significance of those thoughts… and, felt a lot relieved and humbled in the process. Honestly, I did not know, I would find this video to share with you, today… 








I am glad, I wrote on this subject, today…



And, yes, I am glad, my young student called me up, today, with her Pandora Box of doubts!



GERALD D’CUNHA


Pic.: Abhishek Iyer



















Comments

NEENA PINTO said…
Great post... great speech! Thank you... Neena
Gurmeet Singh said…
Gerry, one more inspiring post. Keep writing. Gurmeet

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...