MAYFLOWER






“But, I preferred my life to be this way," she said,  "to be like a Mayflower… and bloom in my own time, and in my own way.”


“And, in your own garden,” I added.


She was a mother of two married-daughters… Both the daughters were highly educated, married to wonderful husbands and were, now, settled in America.


The mother told me that she wanted to study more and settle in America… but, due to her circumstances, she had to come to terms it. She couldn't complete her graduation and she couldn't seek an employment… nor could she settle aboard.


So, this mother did the next best thing: she created circumstances for her own two daughters… kept reminding them of the dream she had to come to terms with and motivated them to pursue it, if they wished. Fortunately, both did. Both, now, are Doctorates and have amazing families to live with, abroad.


“I had this wonderful opportunity to go abroad and settle with my daughters,” the mother said to me, “both my daughters have been asking me to. But, I preferred my life to be this way… to be like a Mayflower… and bloom in my own time, in my own way.”


“And, in your own garden,” I added.


I really liked the way this sixty-something woman described to me about the choice she had made… To be like a Mayflower… and bloom in her own time and in her own way…


The Mayflower is destined to bloom only in May… and, so be it. It is so beautiful about it… so special! If I try to manipulate this plan of the Nature, and try to bring it to its glory when and where it is not destined to, I will be in for a rude disappointment.


So, the early we realize what are we destined to do in life, the better for us: peaceful, joyful and successful!


Was this mother a ‘success’ or a ‘failure’? A ‘winner’ or a ‘loser’ in life?


As I was talking to this woman, I really wondered how absurd can be our concepts of ‘success and failure’… ‘winning and losing’!




No one sees a Mayflower 

 all through the year… but in May. 

It is supposed to be that way!



No, the Mayflower is not a failure in life…  No, it is not a loser!


GERALD D’CUNHA


Pic.: Gloria Pinto






Comments

Shanti Nayak said…
Ya, very simple, yet glorious! Shanti
Darshan Shetty said…
success, failure... all these are in deed a matter of one's perception.
.. Darshan
Anonymous said…
Loved the post for its simplicity. Purav

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...