THE LAW OF OUR HEARTS





















Pic.: Malabika Ganguly

I had been to my bank today. I wanted clarifications on some of my transactions. So, when I got my statement, I carefully checked all the entries in it. In fact, I carefully went through all the entries in the statements of earlier years, too – some seven to eight years that is – and kept asking some questions to the concerned person over the table. I left that place only when I got a satisfactory clarification…


Same thing I would do about my phone or electricity bills, my restaurant bills or my son’s college fees or even the taxi or rickshaw fare…


I would want to be doubly sure that I have not been cheated, taken for granted… Hence, I would keep all my records – all the bills and receipts… How much is spent and how much is received… The proof… The evidence… The hard facts.


Yes, call it track record… Or, call it score card… Or, the Statement of Accounts… whatever. When it comes to our relationships with our Banks, Telephone or Electricity companies or our children’s schools and colleges... keeping such a record helps, immensely.


But, how about keeping such a track record – a score card, a Statement of Accounts – when it comes to our relationships with our spouses, children, parents and friends?


Imagine, if I ask my wife repeatedly, “Give me the track record of all the things you have done to me right from the day you married me.” Or, imagine she asking the same to me… Or, if my young son was to ask me today, “Dad, tell me what have to done to me all these years? Give me the report.” Or, imagine, if I ask my aged mother, tonight, “Mom, give me the details of all the things you have done to me… since the time you gave me birth.”…


Yes, imagine the answer!


Imagine the shock, the pain, the sorrow… the blank face!


If I am to ask my wife or parents, children or friends such a question, I must be a heartless moron…


I will never, ever get an answer   For, never ever has any one kept – or will keep – a track record about the million little or even massive things done for the loved-ones…


Keeping a score card or expecting it from others is pure ‘business’… Yes, just like ‘Pay-and-park’ stuff.


Only in the heat of our fights with our loved ones, we might, now and then, ask for such a report - the Statement of Accounts… Mercifully, that is only an emotional outburst… limited to our war-times. Else, our lives would be miserable, living would be frustrating…


The Law of our Land may operate on the basis of hard facts… the proofs and the evidences…



But, the Law of our Hearts operates on 

faith, trust, hope… and loads and loads of sacrifice,

 forbearance and large-heartedness.



This Law – The Law of our Hearts – can never ever be written!


GERALD D’CUNHA
 

Comments

Kiran Shah said…
Great post!!! Kiran
Anonymous said…
Very Touching piece.
-- Usha Rawat

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...