THE ROADBLOCKS ON MY WAY TO EQUANIMITY














“You always own the option of having no opinion.
There is never any need to get worked up or to trouble your soul
about things you can't control.
These things are not asking to be judged by you. Leave them alone.”
― Marcus AureliusMeditations


The ability to remain calm and composed in all situations in life is called ‘Equanimity’.

Well, I have a long way to go before I can reach there!

But, I am trying my best…

Along my way to this place called ‘equanimity’, I have recognized some of my roadblocks…

At times, I tend to take others’ problems on my shoulders…

At times, I worry about ‘outside situations’ which are beyond my control – wars, earthquakes, plane crash, hurricanes, riots, gang rapes and gang wars, elections, political and religious discord…

At times, I take praise to my head and abuse to my heart… I take them personally…

At times, I fall prey to propaganda… It makes me take sides, become biased… form strong opinions… Be rigid…

I tend to worry about my health, money and future…

I tend to worry about losing my loved ones…

Though I don’t hold grudges, guilt or even regrets, at times, the sense of shame overpowers me…

There are a few things, I have realized of late, which tend to make me more and more cluttered, edgy and depressed inside: addiction to news and social media… Unless I learn to detox myself from these, equanimity of mind will remain only a far cry…

The compulsive urge to comment and troll… Join one of the two ‘warring sides’… knowing very well that it only adds additional clutter in my life… Yes, of late, I have recognized how difficult it is for me to keep a composed mind with this clutter…

There is so much bright and cheerful outside there… to smile at and laugh at… feel playful, hopeful and zestful. Life, certainly, is not a horrible place as it’s, often, made out to be. When this truth dawns upon me, it becomes easy to gain back my equanimity…

The tendency to win arguments at any cost… Well, this seems no more important in life. What will I do with that victory when I have ‘lost’ people?

I am not sent here on a mission to change the world or its people… The more I remind myself about this truth, the more peaceful I become…

Life is short...  Life is a gift. This awareness helps me shed my aggression… Let go, forgive and live with an attitude of gratitude... With this attitude, it is easier to reach ‘home’!


GERALD D’CUNHA


Pic.: Azriel D'Souza

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...