JUST ABOUT A 'HELLO' AND A 'THANK-YOU'










I have observed an interesting thing during our Personality Development programme (summer). A few parents, particularly the mothers, of our little ones or young ones end up learning more from the programme than their children do. I, always, encourage the enthusiastic parents to feel free to sit for our sessions whenever they are free or like. A couple of them end up sitting for the entire two-month programme and enjoy it more than their children do. On the Certification Day, I, often, surprise these ‘deserving’ parents with a specially-worded certificate. When they come forward to collect it, they go speechless. They cry!

Whose learning was it, anyway? Did they actually come for thier kids or for themselves?

It has, always remained a mystery to me!

For last two summers, a mother of young *Sam wanted to enroll her son for our programme. She was extremely keen. But, Sam, who studied in 9th standard at that time, was not. Sam’s dad and mom were working parents and he was their only child. Despite good school that Sam went to and despite  his regal physical-looks, Sam came about as a cold person – very unenthusiastic and indifferent, poor in communication and simple courtesies like a ‘Hello’ or a ‘Thank-you’. Yes, this was even after constant ‘schooling’ at home and some ‘grooming’ classes!

“Sir, Sam is a wonderful boy. All that I want him to learn is simple ‘Hello’ and ‘a Thank-you’,” Sam’s mother would say, “But, he simply refuses to attend any classes. He thinks he doesn’t need those things.”

Sam’s mother tried her luck before this summer too. But, she failed again. Our summer programme got over… A few days ago, I got a call from her again. “Sir, Sam has cleared his tenth and joined Jai Hind College… But, I am worried about him.”

I calmed her down, in my own way. “Ma’am, everything is going to change… He will learn these things when his time comes. Don’t get too worked up.”

“But sir, won’t it be too late?” the anxious mother asked.

“No ma’am… No learning is too late in life,” I explained.

The next day, Sam’s mother appeared in my office with him. Sam’s headphones were still on as I stretched my hand and said, “Hi Sam… How are you beta?”

Sam was very tall, very fair and very handsome. But, very frigid. We spent about forty minutes and, I tried to use my own charm. But, his reluctance was visible, palpable. I knew, he wasn’t ready for a ‘Hello’ and a ‘Thank-you'! As was my practice, I handed Sam five of our inspirational books. “This is for you Sam with lots of love and care. Do read beta,” I gently said as they parted…

Yes, I did not wonder as to why I did not hear from Sam “Thank you, Sir”!

Yesterday, Sam’s mother messaged me, “Sorry Sir. Sam is not willing to join PD. Thanks a lot for lovely books. I have started reading them. The short stories are very good… Have started with this book.”

I smiled and replied, “Don’t worry ma’am. In life, everyone has his clock. Sam will bloom when his time comes. Meanwhile, think it’s about your growth, your education. My Blogs might help you, too. Best wishes to Sam and regards to all at home.”

Sam’s mother responded, “Yes Sir. I will think God has a plan. That’s why I was able to meet a beautiful person like you. And I respect you.”

I concluded, “That’s how God really works His wonders, ma’am. Take care.”


*Name changed

GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic.: Chetna Shetty

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...