BEING NICE MERELY TO BE LIKED






















“I'm not always sincere. One can't be in this world, you know.” 


Today is Eid. While sending greetings to some of my Muslim friends, I became aware of the space from where my greetings came. Was I genuinely feeling for my friends or was I doing it mechanically just to be in their good books?

I have no shame to admit this: many times, I wish on festivals, birthdays, anniversaries or some other achievements not because I genuinely feel for the person concerned… but, because, everybody else is doing it and I do not wish to be ‘misunderstood’ or in the ‘bad books’ of the person concerned…

In other words, I just want to ‘please’!

Well, not always though. Sometimes, many times!

So, today, I paused before sending each Eid greetings and asked, “Where is it coming from?” “Am I genuinely feeling for the person?” “Am I rejoicing in his celebration?” “Are there some hidden strings attached to my greetings?”

Seeing from the other end, too, it makes sense. Some greetings we can really feel… Some we can’t. Yes, we cannot judge, analyze and study the motive behind people sending us greetings. But, somehow, it can genuinity be felt from miles afar and years and years later, too.

I know why I greet someone or how I do it… I know how sincere I am… whether I ‘feel’ for the other person or not… I can’t fake ti!

This Post, therefore, is not about why, how and from where others greet us on our happy occasions. It is about why, how and from where do we do the same… Whether we are truly rejoiceful in the rejoicement of others.

“Being nice merely to be liked in return nullifies the point.”  Criss Jami Killosophy had said.


GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic.: Rashmi Sondhi



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

WHEN A BIRD IS ALIVE, IT EATS ANTS... WHEN THE BIRD DIES, ANTS EAT THE BIRD

"WE CHOOSE OUR JOYS AND SORROWS LONG BEFORE WE EXPERIENCE THEM."

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...