WHAT HAPPENED WAS THE BEST THING THAT COULD HAPPEN











“What happened was the best thing that could happen.”

-          Byron Katie

   

Every time I react to what happens in my life – that is, to the situations in my life – I know, that I do it due to my lack of understanding. Yes, I react in my ignorance.

The more I understand, the less I react… to all kinds of situations in life.

Broadly, all situations in life can be clubbed into two groups: those which make us happy and those which make us sad. Most of us get carried away by both of these… We lose our equanimity.

Wisdom comes through understanding… Through seeing the transient nature of things… The illusion and delusion!

What looks like a lucky situation may bring with it a misfortune, and what looks like a misfortune may bring with it a fortune. Hence, it is sensible to keep our equanimity and greet every situation with a smile… wisely and gracefully. A story that helps me remain poised in good and bad situations is the story of the wise old-man from China. I have told this story so many times in my sessions and here in my Blogs. I wish to tell it, once again, today…



GOOD LUCK OR BAD LUCK…
WHO KNOWS?



There lived, in a Chinese village, a wise old-man. He had a great horse and everyone in the village thought that the old man was the most fortunate one. 


Then, one day, the horse fled into the nearby mountains. The news spread through the village and the villagers came rushing to the old-man’s house to sympathize with him on his ‘bad luck’.


But, the wise old-man only said: “Bad luck or good luck, who knows?”


Many days passed by… The horse returned to the old-man’s house – delightfully accompanied by a beautiful mare!


The news spread through the village and the villagers, once again, came rushing to the old-man’s house… this time, to congratulate him on his ‘good luck’.


But, the wise old-man, only said: “Good luck or bad luck, who knows?”


Many days passed by… While riding on the beautiful mare, the old-man’s young son was thrown off and he broke his legs! 


The news spread through the village and the villagers made a bee-line to the old-man’s house, all over again… Yes, this time around, to sympathize with him on his latest ‘bad luck’.


But, the wise old-man had only this to say: “Bad luck or good luck, who knows?”


Many more days passed by… A war broke out with the neighbouring state… The soldiers marched into the village and picked every able-bodied young-man. When they came to the old-man’s house, they saw his young son with his broken legs… And, they left him alone!


Now, is it ‘Good Luck’ or is it ‘Bad Luck’…  Yes, who knows?

Byron Katie is a wise woman like the wise old-man from China. What happened to me, therefore, was the best thing that could happen to me!


GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic.: Khushboo Gulrajani

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...