SMELL THE FLOWERS... FEEL THE BREEZE








I have heard many saying, that if you do anything consistently for twenty-one days, it becomes our habit. Conversely, it means, that if we wish to uproot a bad habit from us or replace it with a good one, we need to keep attempting it for twenty-one days, with our intent, focus, desire and determination…

Twenty-one days are three weeks…

It’s three weeks since I posted my last Blog…

So, the question is: What was I trying to uproot from me? My habit of blogging daily?

Writing my daily notes has been a very old habit in my case. I was extremely shy and scared boy… afraid to express myself in public. So, writing my tender thoughts – my anxieties, fears, joys and sorrows – in my private dairies gave me immense relief. The habit had begun, as I told, when I was still a teenager… I did not realize, then, that it would become part of my nature, my character and personality…

So, I did not start with Blogging. I started with writing notes in my private journal. Blogging just happened a decade ago. Yes, what I write in my Blog are still my private thoughts… and, I still do them for the same reason: to heal and empower myself.

Well, in the process, if my posts heal and empower my readers, then, my life is blessed… The habit, therefore, can’t be a ‘bad’ habit… I don’t think, I have in me any inclination to uproot it.

Having said that, I am also aware of the spiritual exercise of ‘Abstinence’… Why do we fast? Why do we keep a vow of silence? Why do we abstain from meat, sex or pleasure? Yes, occasionally, I mean. There is tremendous power in abstinence… It gives us fresh perspective, strips us from our ego and addictions… It helps us to get in touch with the clean space from which we start doing what we love…If we do not do this exercise, time to time, I am aware, that even a good habit can turn bad!
So, that’s the reason for going off the radar for three weeks, Sir…

But, then, I did not stop writing, you see. I only did not Blog… I was working on two books to be published on the Certification Day of The Dawn Club summer (P.D.) programme. I kept everything else on hold, literally – including my passionate activity of Blogging… and, saw to it that I gave justice to the task in hand…

The two books – ‘Dressing Up Our English’ and ‘Little Lady’ – have come out very well. We released them on last Sunday (10th June, 2018)… Abstaining from Blogging was worth it. Yes, it had a healing and empowering effect on me…

Life can be so simple and beautiful if we can learn to get in touch with our core… where our desires, habits and compulsions come from… and why we keep doing what we do.

There are some things we do just to prove ourselves to others… I am conscious of this trap. Hence, it’s important to pause, now and then…

And, smell the flowers… feel the breeze!


GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic.:Chetna Shetty

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...