WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO IN LIFE?



















“Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated.”

-          Anonymous

-           
In last three days, at least six parents of my students have met me or called me just to express their one major concern about their young ones… “Sir, they have clue about what they want to do in life.” They ask: “What can be done about it?”

Wish I had an answer to that question – “What can be done about it?”

My experience has been this: Each one of us has to figure out, sooner or later, what one wants to pursue in life. Parents, with all their good intentions, education, information and money, yes, they can only guide, inform, enlighten, inspire and support… But, they cannot plant dreams in their young one’s hearts… They cannot set their young ones’) hearts on fire. In other words, parents cannot make their young ones obsessed with their dreams!

It’s a personal quest… The early it comes, the longer one reaps its benefit.


I have been teaching young ones over more than four decades, now… Most of them are college students. I keep reminding them, every day, about the need for being clear on what they want to pursue in life. “You have to figure it out by getting in touch with your deepest desires… your talents and skills, your strengths and weaknesses. You need to figure it out by being alone… in your quiet moments… You need to trust your innate feelings, and make your choices… Follow your hearts, all the way.”

Good news is that every young one, irrespective of his/her family status, is capable of finding an answer to the question – “What am I supposed to do in life?”

I had found it out for myself. I was in my F.Y. B.Com… As a young boy, I suffered from a chronic inferiority complex… I was hopelessly shy and so full of self-doubts. But, when I watched my professor teach with such passion and dedication, I had begun to dream of becoming a teacher… Soon, my desire to teach like my own professor had become an all-consuming obsession in my heart… I never, ever wanted to do anything else in my life… It was teaching at 17/18… It is still teaching at 60… I was obsessed about teaching then… I am still obsessed with teaching now… And, it will always be so!

Yes, even when I conduct training programmes and write my blog posts, I am still a teacher!

And, I am absolutely sure, that whoever has found his calling in life, it is because he has been able to ‘listen’ to his heart… All that he had to do was: follow the heart!



Probably, like me, you must not have heard about this small-town young man called Kartik… till his Monday-morning stories started doing rounds on social media. As a little boy, Kartik was obsessed with radio… He dreamt of becoming a RJ and simply remained obsessed with it… Eventually, he became one. Presently, he is an extremely popular RJ at Jaipur’s 94.3 MY FM radio… He has carved a place for himself on social media… Every Monday morning, he uploads a video on FB, which has nearly a million viewers. What fascinates me about Kartik is this: Every Monday morning, in his video, he tells a simple, home-grown story… His style of storytelling is incredibly simple and unpretentious… It flows with astounding beauty and holds you in its grip... In the end, it leaves you a little warmer, richer and wiser… How amazing to see a motivational video with such simplicity and honesty!










I highly recommend RJ Kartik’s videos to my readers … Not only for the message they bring, but also for that daunting question: “How can we find our calling in life?”



GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic. & Videos: RJ Kartik

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...