AMBITION HAS ONE HEEL NAILED IN WELL

















“Ambition has one heel nailed in well,
though she stretches her fingers to touch the heavens.”

-       Lao Tzu


I don’t’ think, it’s possible for any of us to achieve anything in life without ambition. Now, some of us may not like to admit that… But, I seriously feel, that it’s our ambition that propels us to achieve whatever we desire to, decide to…


Some four decades ago, as a young man, here in Mumbai, I, too, wanted to know how people ‘succeeded’… how they achieved whatever they desired to. I wanted to know if there was a systematic method, a way, to do that. That’s when I had found, on the footpaths of this city, an old copy of Napoleon Hill’s famous book, ‘Think and Grow Rich’. Incidentally, the author, too, said, that his own search had started with the same question – “How people achieved great success?” Challenged by the great steel-tycoon of the time, Andrew Carnegie,  young Napoleon Hill had decided to devote the next twenty years of his life  researching on the science of success… And, he had come to the conclusion, that Man could really ‘think and grow rich’… The word ‘rich’, however, did not mean only financially… He had famously concluded, ‘Whatever the man’s mind conceives and believes, it can achieve’.


I was a struggling, jobless young man in this big city when Napoleon Hill’s message had begun to sink into my heart. I remember reading the book over and over again… till I got up, one day, and said, “This is it”!


It was, indeed, that… It still is… and, it will, always, be. Yes, after almost four decades, I still swear by “Think and Grow Rich’ - ambition is the only force that propels all of us to achieve whatever we desire in our hearts… Be it a beloved or be it a kingdom, be it a loving family or be it a king-size life… I seriously think, that I could not have become a teacher, trainer or a blogger without being propelled by my ambition. And, I don’t think, it’s any different for Mother Teresa or Bill Gates, for Sri, Sri Ravi Shankar, Sadhguru Jaggi Vasudev or A.R. Rehman… I don’t think, it’s different for Julius Caesar, Alexander or Adolf Hitler… I don’t think, Sachin Tendulkar, Amitabh Bachchan, Rajinikanth, Lata Mangeshkar, Usain Bolt, Michael Jackson, or Barack Obama – name any achiever in this world – yes, I don’t think any of them could accomplish whatever they had without the force of ambition…


We teach it to little children, right when they are able to understand… “Think and grow richer in life… grow bigger in life.”  We tell them, what the ambitious Julius Caesar had told his noble friend, Brutus: “Men at some time are masters of their fates. The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves, that we are underlings.” 


But, the wisdom, that ‘riches’ of life are never confined to money, fame or power alone, comes enroute our quest. We all have to make our choices along our journey… Yes, some of us ‘understand’ what good and what bad the same force can do for us… And, some of us don’t… We live in our illusions and keep chasing the mirage!


So, if I have to go back to my struggling days and pick up a book on our city’s footpaths, I will still pick up the rugged-and-torn copy of Napoleon Hill’s ‘Think and Grow Rich’. Yes, I will still do it, even though I haven’t grown rich financially as an Andrew Carnegie or a Mukesh Ambani, nor as ‘big’ as a Sadhguru, Baba Ramdev or  Mother Teresa. I would never hesitate to tell a young one, that he has to be ambitious in life to achieve whatever his heart desires… But, in the same breath, I will never forget to remind him of Lao Tzu’s wise words, that the lady Ambition has to nail her one heel, always, in well… yes, yes, while she constantly stretches her  fingers  to touch the heavens…


Has any of us ever been able to touch the heavens?


But, then, the Legend tells us, that we can… we can!



GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic.: Kamal Kishore Rikhari

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...