GANPATI BAPPA MORYA
















“Dharma is not about believing in God.
It’s about making the right choices,
doing the right things and leading the right life.” 


― Anurag Shourie, Half A Shadow


I love the expression ‘Dharma’. Frankly, to me, it’s much, much, much more than the typical expression, which, most of us use  grossly, loosely and irresponsibly – ‘Religion’. To me, that word - ‘religion’-  is dead wood!

Yes, ‘Dharma’ has a lot of life in it!

So, when we reflect on the essence of all our holy texts – be it Gita , New Testament, Quaran or any holy text – they give us insights to live  a harmonious and principle-driven life. Period. The rest is ugly… contaminated… born from human greed and selfishness. In fact, what goes on in the name of God and religion – a huge part of it – is harmful for our co-existence. What was supposed to unite us and make us sensitive human beings, only ends up s dividing us and make us insensitive and evil…

“Not in my name,” God must be crying from the Heavens, “Not in my name!”

The following story – ‘Ganpati Bappa Morya’ - was written by TABASSUM UNWALLA, a devout Muslim, for our new book – ‘I am Good, The World is Good’… ‘Jaisi Drishti, Waisi Srishti’. It may leave you stirred and serve you as an eye-opener!



GANPATI BAPPA MORYA
- Tabassum Unwalla


I am good, the world is good! Yes, I not only believe in this, I, also, have benefitted from this outlook in life.

I was born as a Bohra Muslim, grew up in South Mumbai in a Society where people of various faiths lived. I studied in a convent school and learnt a lot about the Christian faith, at my own free will.

In school, my best friend was Bina. She came from a pure Kutchi-Jain family. But, our faiths and customs haven’t stopped us from celebrating our friendship. I have been going to Derasar with her for years. I, also, respect her faith and she respects mine.

Yes, I am a Muslim and I am very proud to be one. But, I am, also, proud of the fact, that I follow the tradition of Raksha Bandhan since my childhood. My mom made me tie Rakhi to my own brother and, also, a Marwadi-Jain brother of mine.

I remember, before our every school exam, three of us - me, my Jain friend and an Irani-Muslim  friend - used to visit Christ Church at Byculla and, also, a Derasar around the area. We would pray  to, both, Jesus and Mahavir… and then take our exams!

Trust me when I say this: this world is filled with wonderful people. If we are able to see the good in us, we are able to see goodness in others, too. Our faiths, really, do not matter… The humanity does!

When I entered college, Sejal became my closest friend. Her father was  Gujarati and mother was Marathi. Every Tuesday, I went to Siddhi Vinayak with her. Every Mahashivratri, I went with her to Babulnath temple. My parents never objected to this. They never ever taught me, that Islam was the only religion I must follow. What they taught me was, that I must love all as humans and respect their faiths.

My friends, Bina and Sejal, both, used to come with me to the dargahs at Haji Ali and Mahim. Just like mine, they, too, were brought up by their parents to love others as humans and not as Muslims, Christians and Jains.


Today, I am married to a Muslim, and have a young son. Once, when my son, Mustafa, was in grade 3, there were Hindu-Muslim communal riots. One day, he  came home from school  and asked me, “Mummy,  what is a Muslim?” I was shocked!  When I asked him as to why he wanted to know it, he said, that some of his school friends wanted to stay away from him as he was a Muslim! I really felt sad! But, never allowed my son to be poisoned!

When my son was in 5th grade, one day, after appearing for his Math exam, he came home and said, “Mom, you know what, I got stuck in one question and didn’t know its solution. So, I prayed to Allah, Krishna, Ganpati bappa, Jesus and Sai Baba to help me solve it and wrote whatever I could. I smiled and thought, “How simple, isn’t it?” I wondered, “Why can’t all of us be like my 5th grade son... believe in all Gods, respect all people?”

Today, my son is a 22-year-old man. He is in New Zealand, pursuing his higher studies in the city of Christchurch. He has made some amazing friends from all over the globe.

Some months ago, when the terror attack happened in New Zealand, my son was barely ten minutes away from the mosque where the attack had taken place. I am glad, my son doesn’t think, that the man who did this heinous act was a Christian. Just as his parents do, he, too, thinks, that terrorists have no religion. They are simply a group of misguided people, controlled by some selfish humans with evil motives.


I am a Muslim and, yes, I am proud to be one. But, I am, also, proud of the fact, that for almost two decades, I have helped in organizing and hosting the programmes during Ganpati festival in our Society. I call out on the mike, at the top of my voice – “Ganpati Bappa Morya, Mangal murti Morya.” I am, also, proud of the fact, that before he left for New Zealand, my son would join his friends to stay awake, all night, for Ganpati Bappa. He never missed the chance to sit on the truck when Ganpati Bappa was brought to our colony and was taken for Visarjan...

Those were the glorious moments… and, to me and my Muslim family, that’s what ‘Muslim’ means. 


(TABASSUM UNWALLA is a strong believer in an inclusive and progressive society. She lives with her husband in Mumbai, while their only son, presently, pursues higher studies in New Zealand.)


GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic.: Anil Bedi


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...