HELPING OTHERS IS HELPING MYSELF











Yesterday, during a training programme in one of the colleges in Mumbai, I had asked the young students (Final year) to reflect on two or three of their main weaknesses. A young girl shared: “Sir my main weakness is, that I trust others easily!

This statement triggered a discussion. It was a familiar experience for most of us... That, when the trust is betrayed, we get hurt, angry and even cynical... Once bitten twice shy... “People cannot be trusted,” we declare, “They betray.”

So, what is the other option? Don’t trust at all? Screen and scrutinize every soul before you trust, help and reach out?

The extreme other option is to doubt and suspect others easily!

I had explained to the girl, yesterday, that a few bad experiences like the ones she must have had were what we all went through in life. I had advised, “Yes, some people break your trust; but, trust anyway... It is far better to leave home trusting the goodness in others than leaving home doubting and suspecting them... The sea throws out the thrash... The world is good.”

The best ones to testify to this fact are the little kids. They are so clean, that trusting comes easily to them. 11-year-old Laksh Moorjani had written this piece for our latest book – ‘I am Good, The World is Good’... ‘Jaisi Drishti, Waisi Srishti’.

Hope, you will learn to trust easily, all over again...  


HELPING OTHERS
IS HELPING MYSELF

- Laksh Moorjani (11)

I help mumma in the kitchen so that she can make good food for me. 

I help my grandparents in taking my great grandmother downstairs with the help of walker or wheelchair. 

I help my grandpa by pressing his feet. I help my grandma in checking her diabetes, giving her injections. 

I help my father by doing tabla on his head and pressing his shoulders. 

I help everyone who are part of my family. If guests come at my house, I and my sister wash the new plates for the guests to have dinner.  

I help my Society friends while giving them water after playing football and, also, help in cycling and show some stunts on the cycle.

I help my school friends by helping them in Math and other subjects. 

I help my PUBG friends by giving them scopes and guns and giving them revive and first aid. 

So, in the same way, I help my parents and grandparents, so they give me blessings. 

My colony friends would help me to learn football skills. 

My school friends help me in French.  

My PUBG friends, also, give me revive and give medical kits to me.

Is this not the meaning of the statement - ‘I am good, the world is good’?



GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic.: Umang Pahwa

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...