THE BURDEN OF OUR HUMPS













]
“Do not free a camel of the burden of his hump;
you may be freeing him from being a camel.”

― G.K. Chesterton
So much is said about our uniqueness. Yes, by now, all of us agree on our ‘unique’ features – our gifts, talents and endowments. Often, someone keeps drilling this fact – about our uniqueness - into our minds; and, often, we keep drilling it into others’. A teacher like me does it to his students… almost till they drop dead on being drilled so deep, every day!

Today, for example, I was trying to do the drilling work on this 16-year-old… That, he was a Commerce student and he had to be good at the basic calculations. Well, from what I knew of this boy, he was certainly not a ‘special child’… He was a normal child with his own special endowments… “Beta, you are a Commerce student,” I kept drilling, “So, enjoy the calculations… Love the work you do… Show me some enthusiasm… You charge me… I charge you… I charge you… You charge me…”

But, the young one only seemed puzzled!

Looking at his puzzled face, I remembered the story of a mother camel and her child. I told the class this story:


THEN, WHY ARE WE HERE?

“One day, a mother and a baby camel were lying around under a tree.
Then, the baby camel asked, ‘Mama, why do we have humps?’
The mother camel gently answered, ‘My child, we are desert animals. We have the humps to store water; so that, we can survive with very little water.’
The baby camel thought for a moment, and then asked, ‘Ok Mama. Tell me, why are our legs long and our feet rounded?’
The mother lovingly replied, ‘They are to help us walk long in the desert.’
After a short pause, the baby asked again, ‘Mama, why are our eyelashes long? Sometimes, they get in my way.’
The mother patiently explained, ‘Honey, those long thick eyelashes protect our eyes from the desert sand when it blows hard in the wind.’
The little camel was only puzzled after getting all these answers from his mother. He expressed it, ‘I got it Mama... the hump is to store water when we are in the desert, the legs are for walking through the desert, and these eyelashes are to protect our eyes from the desert sand. But, then, why are we here in the Zoo?'”

When I finished with the story, I could see a sparkle on my on baby camel’s face… I had told him why we had huge humps, long legs and big eyelashes… But, I had not told him why we were in the ‘Zoo’…

I had to find it for myself… My baby has to do it for himself, you see!


GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic.: tripadvisor.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...