THE THINGS THAT MAKE US DIFFERENT

















“The things that make me different
are the things that make me.”

– Winnie The Pooh


God hasn’t made all five fingers alike… Nor has He made me and my four brothers, alike. We five are as different as our own five fingers. Some of us, including me, are very shy – very introvert. Maybe, it’s come from our mom’s genes. And, some of us are open - very extrovert. Yes, maybe, it’s come from our dad’s genes…

Why five children of the same parents are as different as cheese and chalk, yes, it shall, always, remain a mystery to me!

I remember my childhood. I, always, hid myself from the world… I did not take part in any social events like singing, dancing, acting, public-speaking etc. As I turned a teenager, I, also, turned more and more inward into my own shell… “The whole world is watching me… and judging me”… Yes, this was how my mind operated. Those thoughts – of self-doubts - were the seeds of my lack of self-confidence. But, along this struggle to deal with my shyness, I, also, desired to open up. Because I was too shy to express in speech, I began to express my deepest feelings – including my fears – through notes in my personal diaries… The habit has stood by me, even today; and, I think, it will stand by be till the end of life. I write because I am shy; and, that’s the truth! Even the reason why I became a teacher was, because, I wanted to ‘express’… There is a direct link between my shyness and teaching profession. Finally, I would not have started THE DAWN CLUB, if wasn’t a shy person!

“Shyness doesn’t go,” I, often, tell others. Many agree and many disagree. It hasn’t gone from me after all these decades of reading, teaching, preaching, writing and training… There are so many areas where I sound very, very awkward and find it stressful when I attempt to venture into those areas. So, I make peace and I let them be! All that I have done, along the journey of my self-growth, is, that I have learnt to overcome shyness just enough to feel good about myself… just enough to feel confident…

But, the shy core has lasted!

“A man's vanity is more fragile that you might think,” said Lisa Kleypas, “It's easy for us to mistake shyness for coldness, and silence for indifference.”

Shy people are highly misunderstood lot. Sometimes, others mistake us to be cold and indifferent, while, in reality, we are only shy. Similarly, sometimes, we mistake others’ shyness to be coldness and silence to be indifference… That’s the sad story of shyness!

This morning, I came across this heart-warming video…






Look at the little girl who, with her exuberance, steals our hearts… And, look at the shy girl next to her! Look at the whole group of little ones… The song is the same, the stage is the same, the opportunity to ‘express’ is the same… Yet… Yes, yet!

“My feelings are too loud for words and too shy for the world.”
Dejan Stojanovic seems to have spoken on behalf of many of us here – who hide!


GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic.: heartsupport.com

Video: Armil Kaye Mandling/YouTube



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...