MOST OF US HAVE TWO FACES

 



“We must live together as brothers

or perish together as fools.”

Martin Luther King Jr.


Most of us have two faces: One reflects our inherent selves as gentle humans. The other reflects our superimposed selves as ‘politicians’. I think, this is true for all of us.

It means, that I am no exception. In the heart of my hearts, I know everyone around me is just like me – a human being, my brother or sister, as we all are children of the same God. So, there is no difference at all between ‘them’ and ‘us’… What they eat, wear and pray to and what we eat, wear and pray to – yes, for the gentle soul in me, it never matters. My ideals spring from this space – It’s so beautiful… so Life-enriching!

But, the moment I become a ‘politician’, I am compelled to walk around wearing the other face… the superimposed, dishonest, false face. I am compelled to hide my true feelings of love brotherhood… I am compelled to take hard stands… I am compelled to express my divisive and hateful words against my fellow-beings. Yes, now, what they eat, wear and pray to and what we eat, wear and pray to does matter. This face doesn’t reflect my true self… Deep within, I know it. But, then, there is this politician in me – in all of us – who drags the devil out and make him sit on my face!

‘Difference’ is an acquired syndrome… We pick it up to make a political gain out of it. Else, there is nothing called ‘difference’… There is nothing called ‘Them’ and ‘us’.




My entire education took place in institutions run by Catholic priests and nuns. When the Catholic students had their sessions or retreats, others had the Moral Science sessions. When we went to our chapel to pray, no one else was ever forced to follow. Despite this, I can say this with a great delight – and a bit of shame – that some of the non-Catholic students knew our prayers better than we did!

Aditi, a dear friend and mother of two, who did her schooling in a convent school, proudly tells me, that she was so good at Christian prayers, that she volunteered to lead her fellow Christian-students! In fact, her dyed-in-wool Bengali parents encouraged her to do it. Today, Aditi continues to eat, wear and pray according to her Bengali Hindu roots. The memories of her saying and leading Christian prayers in school only make her look back in pride and help her inculcate the same spirit in her two school-going kids…

How beautiful it is… How Life-enriching!

Tabassum lives in the same housing complex as I do. It is she who anchors the 7-day Ganesh Utsav in our complex. And mind you – she has been doing it with indescribable love and gusto for two decades… When she chants ‘Ganpati Bappa Morya’, so many of us get goosebumps…

How beautiful it is! How Life-enriching!

Ruha Shaikh was my student a couple of years ago. In fact, her mother, too, was my student when she was of Ruha’s age. Ruha’s father and grandparents were staunch Muslims. Her mother, too, remained faithful to their roots. However, there was one general consensus: Ruha’s passion for Bharatanatyam. The entire family encouraged and supported her in pursuing it… Yesterday, on the anniversary of her Arangetram, I saw Ruha sharing some lovely images of the event… “I can’t thank enough my Guru and family for this,” Ruha wrote, “I feel the happiest and the proudest”…

How beautiful it is! How Life-enriching!

























The two-faces theory became strikingly clear to me, when I watched this video, some years ago:

 


Most of us have two faces. Sadly, one of them – the true one – we are compelled to hide…

How sad it is!

 

GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic.'s: 1 & 2 pixabay  3 & 4 Ruha Shaikh

Video: Don Bosco Schools India

 

Comments

Unknown said…
Thank you so much sir for such beautiful blog.

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...