WHEN THE GOING GETS TOUGH

 


“When the going gets tough, the tough get going.”

Popular English proverb

 

Nobody, in his senses, will ask God for tough times in life. The prayer to God will, always, be: ‘God, keep us away from tough times.” Even the Son of God went down on His knees and prayed, “My Father, if it’s possible, let this cup of suffering be taken away from me.” But, then, He, being an evolved human, concluded His heart-wrenching prayer at Gethsemane: “But, thy will be done, not mine.”

In Life, tough times come to test us - to make us stronger, wiser and kinder human beings… That’s my steadfast belief. While everyone’s life has tough times, some of us have tougher times than the rest. I, mercifully, have belonged to the ‘rest’, so far!

Thank you, God; thank you for the mercy!


The family of Shilpa*, my eleventh standard student, has been going through very tough times, of late. She, along with her parents and younger sister (7th std.) had tested Covid-positive. Only her 3-year-old brother was spared. They were all sent to a quarantine centre. When her father’s health deteriorated, he was shifted to a hospital, where his condition kept worsening… Lungs, heart and kidneys… finally, on this Monday night, he lost the battle. The next morning, I received a message from Shilpa, “Sir, I won’t be able to attend today’s online class; my dad passed way. But, I will attend on Thursday.”

Yesterday was Thursday… Shilpa attended the session!

In my condolence message, I had urged Shilpa not to bother about the classes for the time being. But, when the going got tough, she decided to get going… She joined face life, like a Braveheart…

After the session, yesterday, I spoke to Shilpa separately and gave her whatever encouragement and consolation that I could. Though what I said to her, in those few minutes, was spontaneous, I remember telling her about two close people in my life…



First: Ivan* and I were classmates in our high-school days. When we were in Tenth, he lost his dad, and when he was in eleventh, he lost his mom. He was the eldest of six children. His immediate younger-sister, who was in Ninth at that time, picked the gauntlet. She decided to run their small shop (from home) and support her elder brother (Ivan) and one younger brother and three younger sisters to study. The last sister was a little baby! What I still remember, in great distress, is this: while Ivan’s younger sister stood like a rock to support everyone else, the two boys, eventually, ruined their lives. All girls went on to complete their studies and settle well in life. The ‘Rock’, too, did well in life…

Second: Aleen is my wife’s niece (Cousin brother’s daughter). She was the elder of two girls at home. The tough times started hitting the household when their father (my wife’s cousin) started facing financial setbacks. Soon, barely in his forties, in died of a heart attack… The wife, who was a housewife till then, took up a small job and tried to hold the fort… Soon, one after another, Aleen lost her younger sister and mother, both, to cancer… That left Aleen alone to swim through the uncertain seas… Did she sink, or did she swim?

She swam, beautifully!




Yesterday, through the examples of these two young girls – the bravehearts – I tried to encourage Shilpa, my student, to get going. “After some years, when you look back at this phase of your life,” I told her, “You will realize how it will have made you a stronger, wiser and kinder person.”

I had, also, told Shilpa about the priceless advice Late Harivansh Rai Bachchan, would, often, offer to his illustrious son, whenever the latter was found driven to the wall:

“Jab tak Jeevan hai, tab tak sangharsh hai.”  … Till there is life, there will be struggle!

And, this: “Mann ka ho toh accha; na ho toh aur accha.”  … If what we get is what we wish for, it’s good; if not, it’s even better.”




Yes, when the going gets tough, the tough get going… And, they shall be called ‘The Bravehearts’!

 

*Name changed

 

GERALD D’CUNHA


Pic's.: 1 & 3. pixabay 2. Simon Clayton 

Video: Goal Quest

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...