THE YEAR OF PROBLEMS?

 


“There is always a door, no matter how dark the room is…

Find it and get out.”

Shafqat Bashar

 

Who doesn’t have problems?

There is a lot of truth and bluntness packed in this statement. Doesn’t it sound familiar?

I must’ve used it to hundreds of people around me – particularly my students – whenever they tried to cite a problem or two to cover up their small lapses. “Don’t use your problems as your excuses,” was what I wanted to tell them, “Who doesn’t have problems?”

On the other hand, dozens of people have used this statement to send across the same message to me… “Look, we all have our own problems in life.”




This year has been the year of problems. It has spared none of us… The employers and employees, the rich and the poor, the doctors and the patients, the hospitals, worship places, educational institutions, hotels and the transporters – all had, and still have, their own problems. I had mine…  the parents of my students had theirs… the maid, who comes to clean my office or house, had her.

In life, our fears and tears come from the same source!

Yes, our problems are, always, relative in size and magnitude. Running out of money is, definitely, a major source of our worries. But, there are a hundred more problems… This year has exposed, almost, all of us to them.

Well, in the end, most of us learn to deal with our respective problems. I have tried to find my way out… and, I am still trying. Like me, I know, others, too, have been trying to come out of their tight spots… The experience, I am sure, has only made us wiser, stronger and humbler. Hasn’t it?

The experience, I am sure, has, also, taught us empathy. I have learnt to be a lot tolerant towards the parents who couldn’t pay their children’s fees… I have learnt to  be a lot tolerant of my students who have been fatigued due to excessive online-sessions… I have learnt to be tolerant of people at home… And, above all, I have learnt to be tolerant of my own incapacities…



“Everyone has problems.” And, “Who doesn’t have problems?”. Yes, though both these statements mean the same, there is a transformative difference between the two.

That, perhaps, is one of the gentler lessons this year – ‘the year of problem' - has left me humbled with.

 

GERALD D’CUNHA

 

Pic.: 1. Fransesco Paggiaro  2. Manu01/pixels

Video: Dare to do Motivation


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...