OFFSPRING OF A GOD AND A MORTAL

 



“To ride two horses at the same time is difficult.”

Rajnikanth

 

But, it shouldn’t be difficult at all for Rajnikanth, right? “Hello, he can ride hundred horses at the same time!” Yes, I hear it loud and clear…

I am not a great fan of Rajnikanth’s acting. He always plays to his massive world of fans – who expect him to play the larger-than-life - and over-the-top - roles. To them, he is the demigod and God, both. It doesn’t appeal to my sensibilities.

But, like millions of people in India and around the world, who adore Rajnikanth for several other reasons, I, too, have a set of my own reasons…

Rajnikanth is the quintessential underdog. He became Rajnikanth, the Superstar, the proverbial rags-to-riches way. He was Shivaji Rao Gaekward from Bangalore (Language being Marathi and Kannada)… He worked as a coolie and a bus conductor in Bangalore. But, he dreamt big and worked hard to become a huge movie star in the South… The rest is Rajnikanth’s inspiring saga of success.

So, like I find in other self-made people in the world, I find in Rajnikanth, too, that invaluable elixir in life: Hope!

If Shivaji Rao Gaekwad, once a coolie and a bus conductor, can become Rajnikanth – the Thalaiva – I, too, can…  Something tells me inside my soul!

Rajnikanth is not ashamed to reveal his true self. He is old and far from possessing the looks of a movie star – leave alone a superstar. But, this man does possess tremendous guts, which, I think, comes from his spiritual inner-strength. He knows the limitations of his real life and separated it from his reel life. True, he unapologetically cashes on his on-screen popularity. But, he, simultaneously, takes incredible risk of showing his true off-screen self…

Which, as I said, is not only brave, but also unusual.

I admire Rajnikanth for this.




The rest – whether or not it was sensible for him to enter party politics, whether or not that would have made any difference, whether or not his idea of ‘Spiritual Politics’ was just a fantasy etc., etc. – yes, I just don’t care much about…

What I do care about is this: will Rajnikanth continue to inspire a simple mortal like me – through the mix of his myth and realism – yes, I just care about that. It’s a great relief to me – his fan – that he decided to ‘leave politics even before he entered it’… That decision, too, must’ve taken a huge toll on him. Because, it was he who had said:

“If you leave without a fight, you will get the name of a coward.”

Did Rajnikanth leave without a fight?

I don’t think so, Sir. For, to win an inner battle – to be or not to be – has, always been the greatest battle of all!




Good health and a long, peaceful life to my hero Rajnikanth. Thalaiva!

 

GERALD D’CUNHA

 

Pic’s. Unknown source

 

Video: Shubham Sharma


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...