WHAT A BEAUTIFUL FLOWER!

 



And the people who shall pass

(And all those who shall pass)

O Goodbye beautiful, Goodbye beautiful, Goodbye beautiful!

Bye! Bye!

And the people who shall pass

(And all those who shall pass)

Will tell me: ‘What a beautiful flower’!

(And they will say: ‘What a beautiful flower’!)

 

This is the flower of partisan.


From the song 'Bella Ciao'

 

I wasn’t aware of the song ‘Bella Ciao’ until I heard its Hindi adaptation by Poojan Sahil during the CAA/NRC protests... That’s before the lockdown. I instantly loved the beats. However, I did not go deep into its Italian origin – its legend over the years… How popular and inspiring the song had been… In how many countries and languages it had been adapted! And, all of a sudden, I got awakened – and went a little deep into it – when I listened to Poojan Sahil singing it, again, this time in Punjabi, during the ongoing farmers’ protests…

I am still under its spell!

I don’t understand politics. But, I understand this: All Laws are made for man; but, man is not made for Laws! I agree with what Thomas Jefferson had said:

“When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.”

Now, if we are the diehard supporters of the Government, we will have difficulty in digesting what Jefferson said. But, history has been a witness: You can suppress resistance only so far… Then, the resistance outpowers you – Look at every struggle for justice, and, you will know this: You can suppress resistance only so far!

Again, I do not understand party politics… I do not like to get into arguments… There is enough of it, already!






‘Bella Ciao’ has its roots in Italy… More than a century has passed by, the beauty of this song continues to inspire all cultures…

In this Blog, I wish to share some of my favourite versions of ‘Bella Ciao’, which have left me impressed with. Here are they...


1.     This one is my most favourite version:


2. 


2.   This one will give you a sense of the staggering influence ‘Bella Ciao’ has had during the protests around the world:

  



3.     This street singer is, indeed, crazy:




4.     Andre Rieu provides his own grace to ‘Bello Cieo’:




5.   Poojan Sahil made it ‘Wapas Jao’ during the CAA/NRC protests before the lockdown:




6.     Finally, here is the latest Punjabi version by Poojan Sahil:




Please listen to them for their sheer beauty and power. Go by the depth of simple, yet sublime, lyrics…

 

GERALD D’CUNHA

 

Pic's: pixabay

 

Videos:1. Just Italian Music 2. Virginia Avveduto 3. Fransesco II Mercante  

           4. Fritz 5109/Andre Rieu   5. & 6. Poojan Sahil

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...