GO FOR THE BLACKBERRIES, MY SON...








When I saw my this month’s Internet-usage bill, I was rudely surprised. For years, I have been blogging and I do check my e-mails or send them. I have been managing with some basic schemes… Just need-based. 


Just some days ago, someone from the other end had ‘tempted’ me with a scheme that had made sense to me. I said, “Go ahead”.  So, I was expecting a hike of around hundred rupees this month. But, it is more than twice my old out-go!


“No way,” I reacted in my mind, “When did I use Internet like this?”


I called up the call-center. And, the lady on the other end patiently explained to me that it was just a one-time advance payment… and, that from the next month onward, it would be as promised. 


I dropped my resistance, immediately. “Why didn’t you tell me about this ‘one-time-something’ before?" I could have yelled. But, I decided to drop even that.


In stead, I decided to ‘drop’ the cheque, immediately… Yes, in the drop-box! 


A few hundred rupees jump had un-nerved me… I was fuming!


A slight increase in my internet speed had come with a price… and, I had to be prepared for it. 


Yes, the lady on the other end was politely telling me, “Sir, there is no Free Lunch in Life!”


I had dropped my resistance, the moment this truth dawned on me just some hours before.




My mind goes back to this morning’s PD session. My friend, Mr. Manjeet, had come to share a few things with the young ones. The point he wanted to stress on was ‘an attitude of gratitude’. 


“My dear young friends,” Mr. Manjeet said, “You are able to experience the comfort of this room, because, you have these air-conditioners, fans and lights.” He continued, “But, they come with a price… If you want comforts, you have to pay… No Free Lunch in Life!”


The young ones were glued. “Tell me, what if God had not given us the Sun… Or, imagine if He was to charge us for the usage of Light! Imagine, if He had not sent us rain… Or, imagine if He was to bill us for the water?”


“Oh my God!” I exclaimed. “I had never thought of that… Mine is an ‘unlimited-usage scheme!”


It was. It is. It will be!


God doesn’t charge me… So, I take the light, air and water for granted. Prayer comes when I am a bit scared… worried. When I am all provided, I blissfully forget there is Some one who cares, provides… Yes, Some one who provides me the unlimited-downloads in Life!


We were all glued to my friend, Mr. Manjeet’s gospel on gratitude. Then, he ended the way he always does. With a nice story.






 






One day, a young boy saw a huge tree with loads of blackberries. He was tempted to have the sweet berries and decided to climb the tree. Till the trunk of the tree, he could manage effortlessly. But, to reach for what he wanted – the sweet blackberries – he had to take some risk… He had to get on to the branches, which were not as strong as the trunk… So, he was filled with fear… “What if the branch comes off and I come down?” he worried. “But, I want the blackberries,” he yearned. “Oh God, please help me,” he cried, looking up to the skies, “I promise you to drop some of my bad habits… I will visit your temple once I come down from this tree… I will surely offer at your altar the best of the blackberries… But, dear God, please help me to get these sweet berries.”


The prayer had come spontaneously to the young boy… It had come to his lips when he needed the berries, badly.

“Go for the berries, my son,” the boy seemed to have heard a voice from the heavens. The next moment, he got on to a branch… and he began to pluck those sweet berries… He was so happy and so confident that he kept plucking more and more of them. 






Then, a thought came to his mind. 


“Actually, I was stupid to be so scared,” he argued,


 “I simply prayed to God for help… 


I simply made all those promises… 


I could have managed on my own!”




Before the next thought came into his mind, the branch of the tree, along with our young man, came crashing down… DHUD on the ground!!!


There, lying on his hurting back, he could now see the heavens quite clearly!


“Sorry Sir, I was simply joking!” the boy explained to God. Of course, in pain!




GERALD D’CUNHA


Pics.: 1. Amit Bhoir
         2. Denzil Pais




Comments

Ranjit Menon said…
Beautiful story... beautiful post. Keep it up.. Ranjit
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Thanks Ranjit,

Love,

GERRY
PRIYA NARAYAN said…
I was inspired by reading this article. Thanks for such lovely work.

Priya
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Thanks Priya,

Love,

GERRY

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...