SHOW HER THE STAIRWAY...






 

“Help me believe in what I could be… and all that I am!”




This is a line from the popular Christian hymn – ‘One day at a time’.


I still remember that Sunday morning. During the Mass, a young girl had rendered this hymn so beautifully, amidst the inspiring silence of the church… that, tears were just rolling down my cheeks!



A young ‘girl’ was singing this hymn…



“I'm only human; I'm just a woman
Help me believe in what I could be and all that I am
Show me the stairway
I have to climb
Lord for my sake
Teach me to take
One day at a time”



Yes, the young ‘girl’ was praying:


“One day at a time, sweet Jesus
That's all I'm asking from you
Give me the strength to do everything that I have to do
Yesterday's gone sweet Jesus
And tomorrow may never be mine
Help me today
Show me the way
One day at a time.”



And, I was crying… a ‘man’ was crying!













My little niece, vivacious Danika, received her first Holy Communion on this Saturday; and last evening, her wonderful parents, Oscar and Mavis, had invited us for a memorable evening to celebrate the big day. 


Yes, it IS a ‘big day’ in the life of every young Christian boy or girl. By now – at the age of eight to ten – he or she is big enough to understand the prayers… to know who Jesus is… and is ‘ready to receive Him’.

 
So, our beautiful Danika ‘received’ Jesus for the first time, in the church, on Saturday. She was thrilled… as her parents and we all were…


As the little bride – yes, Danika was, last evening – went about asking blessings from all of us, posing for pictures, replying to the toast, dancing her heart out… I went back to my own ‘big day’. Ever since that day – about forty-five years ago – I have been receiving the Holy Communion – Jesus – during every Mass in the church. I found asking myself: “Why am I not so ‘excited’ as I was on my ‘big day’?”




Then, a few thoughts kept haunting me:


Does Jesus ‘come to me’ only on Sundays 


when I receive the Holy Communion? 


Or, does He come 


every time, every day, every where 


and in every manner?


And, when He comes, am I ready to 


recognize Him? To receive Him?





These questions did cross my mind as our lovely Danika enthralled with her scintillating key-board performance coupled with a soothing hymn.


For a while, I turned speechless!


Just the same morning, I had cried as I was listening to my favorite, ageless hymn – One day at a time – with an instrumental version. In the night, Danika was playing another one for us – her beholders… I felt like crying aloud:




“Lord, help this little soul believe in what she could be… and all that she is…
Show her the stairway… that she has to climb….
Yes Jesus, she is only  human… just a little woman…”



Last night, while bidding them good-bye, I had promised Mavis, little Danika’s adorable mom, that I would be dedicating today’s Post to her angel. 


This is for you, my little Danika darling…


I hope, you too will have tears rolling down your lovely cheeks as you grow up like me…


Please play the key board the way you do… Please sing the way you do… Please ‘receive Jesus’, all your life – the way you did on your ‘Big day’.


With all my love and blessings, here is my favorite hymn to you. ‘One day at a time.’
















May this be your prayer, my little darling... may this be your song... yes, One day at a time!




GERALD D’CUNHA

Pics.: Roopa Sushil



Comments

Unknown said…
Firstly Gerry, let me thank u for creating this blog, truly a gr8 platform for learning and inspiring ourselves 4 a better life always...and simultaneously being able 2 share some of our views also...

Thanks once again for your kind and inspiring words, just as the beautiful hymn goes ……we believe in taking one day at a time and pray that as Danika continues to receive Jesus, may she make the world outside a true reflection of the beautiful world that is inside her.

Danika specially mentions a great big hug to her loving uncle for your appreciation and encouraging words and promises to make best use of her talent as she continues to grow. She requests you to pray for her that her relationship with Jesus grows ever stronger and sustains her throughout her life.
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Hey Mavis, so kind of u to use such encouraging words... I have posted my comment on FB...

Hope, little Danika will grow as a fine head-strong and heart-strong individual... and, shine in life.

My compliments to you both as fine parents...

Love,

GERRY

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...