A FRIEND-REQUEST



 

 

 

Some months ago, I had written about Buzzo. He lives just outside my class with his wife, Sony. 

 

 

In that particular Post, I had written about their just-born babies… about eight of them. “Soooo cute!!!” This was how my students - particularly, the young girls - would fall on these babies!



That’s some months ago. Today, no baby is seen around… No one knows what has happened to them… and, no one cares, either!



A street dog is a street dog. Buzzo is a street dog. He was born here, outside my class, and, as his fate would have it, he chose to pitch his tent, here, right outside my class… and, for years now. 



Buzzo is huge, and blessed with his golden body. His loyal companion, Sony, is coal  black… She is fragile and slow, unlike her big, agile hubby.



It is so hot outside, these days. They both come, every second hour, to stretch their necks into the small bucket I have placed below my A.C. Like the rest of us, even they like to have chilled water in the summer. And, when the bucket is empty, they stand outside my glass door with their tongues out… “What happened, sir?” they ask me, “Why is there no water in the bucket?” 



“You have to wait for some time, darlings,” I caress them, pouring some water in the bucket.



“No, not this,” they quickly throw out their heads from the bucket, “we want the chilled one!”



“I have just started the A.C., my sweethearts,” I gently explain them, “Take some rounds… come after some time.”



They go reluctantly. But, they come, again… to have the chilled water!



Then, they sleep… so blissfully, right outside my class. 



My students know, that these dogs are harmless… That, they only go after the ones who are not supposed to be there around: the occasional bhangarwala, or some ugly-looking plumber from another world, or some nasty kids, who, no way can ‘deserve’ to be  my students – according to them – or, those eunuchs, who pop up on some special days. “Who the hell are you?” the dogs howl at the strange kinds, “A man or a woman? We are confused!” 



Both, Buzzo and Sony – the husband and wife – do not like even the shadow of eunuchs. “It is alright, honey,” I have to pacify them, “Our world has all kinds!”



 



A week ago, it was the first day for Sharmila in my class. After the class, I saw the young girl unwilling to step out my class. Everyone else had gone… but, this madam would not move. 



“Sir, that dog!” Sharmila was petrified.



“Hey, that’s our Buzzo… very sweet fellow,” I assured the scared soul, “Don’t be afraid, dear… He will never harm you.”



“No sir, I am scared… Please come with me till the gate,” Sharmila gave me one more job!



“Chalo, will go,” I started to walk. Sharmila kept yelling, “See, he is coming behind us!”



Arey madam, he is coming to see you off,” I told the trembling soul. “Trust me dear, he is the sweetest friend you can ever find in this world,” I pumped my student further, “Send him a friend-request once you reach home, okay?”



Just then, Buzzo gave out a cry, the kind of which, probably, I hadn’t heard from him for years now!  He was speeding like a Cheetah towards the opposite direction. “No way! Not even in your wildest dreams can you hope to step into my territory,” I heard him swearing at the intruder!



It was another dog… from another street!



“You are okay, dear?” I asked Sharmila. 



“I hope so!” the heart was still pounding!



And, just yesterday, there was another sight to behold!



Both Buzzo and Sony were wagging their tails in great delight. Sharmila had brought a big packet of milk biscuits… and, she was merrily feeding them to my friends!



It was clear, that both Buzzo and Sony had accepted Sharmila’s friend-request!






So, any of you,


who wants to be friends with my Buzzo and Sony, 


please send them your friend-request, right away. 


Only, be careful: 


they don’t like those who look or act funny!






And, remember, they like milk biscuits… and chilled water!



And yes, they value love, loyalty and their space… 



They don’t hold grudges…



They don’t get worked-up over their next meal… They have trust… They know,  that - the meal WILL  come!



They have fears like us… the mighty insecurity of someone taking away their hallowed space…



They get afraid like us… When they send their tails between their legs, and wet the ground below… please realize that my friends are frightened to death!



And, when they wag those tails and, keep rubbing their golden and coal-black skins on you, you have to believe that they have a heart, too!



Yes, like us…



GERALD D’CUNHA


Pics.: Lionel Saldanha





Comments

Leena Gupta said…
Really cute! Leena
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Thanks Leena,

love,

GERRY
DINA said…
Enjoyed this dog-story. Touching.

- Dina
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Thanks Dina,

Love.

GERRY

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...