A SAPLING...


















On her way to school, little Punita, came to show me the sapling she had to take to school today. “Sir, see this; it is called a ‘sapling’,” the six-year-old said confidently like her school teacher.


“Show me dear; it is lovely,” I held the sapling in my hand for a while, “What are you going to do with it in your school?”


“That, our miss is going to tell us,” Punita replied. She was getting late, “Thank you sir; bye sir,”… and with that the little lady disappeared.


“What are you going to do with this sapling, honey?”


It is a question laden with truth!


The sapling, will be planted… nursed when small… with all the love and care… with hope and trust… till it becomes a ‘tree’… strong, confident… yes till it is laden with fruits!


I kept looking out of the window…












Punita is small… like the sapling she was carrying to school today. Her wonderful parents, and grand parents at home and her amazing ‘miss’ at school are nursing her with all the love and care… Like the little sapling, she is raised with great hope and trust. Along with love, there is a good amount of discipline: values to imbibe and good attitude to wear. 


I remembered the old saying:

“A tree is shaped when it is a sapling!”


I felt very happy for little Punita… I was able to see the tree, standing tall with grace, strength and loaded with fruits!


Then, my face wore a sudden seriousness… 


I remembered one more ‘tree quote’ of years or yore:

“Let the tree laden with fruits always bend!”


“Yes Punita, when you grow up and stand tall and shining – successful in life – may you be humble. Please bend like the tree laden with fruits,” I wished with my earnestness.





With all the love and care 


the little sapling, Punita, 


was being showered upon, 


I had no reasons to doubt on it. 


The tree, tomorrow, would bend… 


Yes, loaded with fruits!




Finally, I felt like telling this to little Punita with a protective hug even though she would not understand it now:

 “Only a tree laden with fruits will be stoned by people!”


Well, sweetheart, there is a lot of time for you to understand this old saying. Don’t you worry… Just enjoy your days at home and school… 


I promise you that I will surely come and stand under your shade when you grow up…


And, yes,  I will remember what you had taught me today:

“This is called a ‘sapling’!”




GERALD D’CUNHA


Pics.:Vivek D'Cunha














Comments

Umesh Narang said…
Very touching! Umesh
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Thanks Umesh. Love, GERRY
Nisha D'Souza said…
I loved the way u have connected the little girl and the sapling! Grt!

- Nisha
Gerald D'Cunha said…
Thanks Nisha, love. Gerry

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...