I DON'T KNOW

















Pic.: Mehul Bhuva



Am I supposed to know everything under the sun?

Why under the sun, I don’t think I am supposed to know everything even in my own field.

I am, certainly, supposed to get myself well-informed. But, what is the limit? I believe, no matter how much I know, I must still have the ability and grace to say, “I don’t know.”

Very often, I used to find it difficult to say this simple “I don’t know” and put on a brave front and go on faking…

After indulging in such an act I would feel disturbed, angry and depressed. It used to damage my self-esteem, further.

Today, I have learnt to say gently, “I don’t’ know”. I feel nice after I say so… I sense, that the other person feels more comfortable with me. And, certainly, I find it as an opportunity to learn more.

Not knowing everything is not a sin. It, once again, signifies that we are human beings – imperfect, and ever eager to learn.

To say “I don’t know”, when we really do not, requires a high self-esteem.



GERALD D’CUNHA

P.S.:

In 1990, THE DAWN CLUB had published a small book by the title – ‘The Zest’. It had carried some eighteen short and medium-sized passages written by me. The book instantly became one of our very popular books; and, eventually, it was reprinted several times.

We guess, one of the main reasons for its popularity was that it spoke to the reader in ‘first person’… He felt as though he was talking to himself… a soliloquy. Yes, the reader could instantly connect to the voice in the book… and, the message simply seeped into his heart!

The above passage – ‘I DON’T KNOW’ – is a popular passage from the book.


Comments

Ravindra N. said…
A short, simple and honest Post.
- Ravindra N.
Anonymous said…
The Zest is still my fav book... Bharat Bhandari

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"WE CHOOSE OUR JOYS AND SORROWS LONG BEFORE WE EXPERIENCE THEM."

WHEN A BIRD IS ALIVE, IT EATS ANTS... WHEN THE BIRD DIES, ANTS EAT THE BIRD

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...