HELLO WORLD, I AM AVAILABLE






Pic.: Nirmala Sundar


Five years ago, Raveena* had met me immediately after she got her SSC results. After congratulating her on her wonderful performance, I asked her the obvious question: “What next, beta?”

“Arts, sir,” Raveena said, without blinking.

I did not blink, either.

“Great,” I said, “But, why Arts, beta?”

“Sir, I love Psychology,” Raveena explained, “I have been dreaming about it for long.”

“You will shine in it Raveena,” I told her, “do it with all your heart.”

This was five years ago. A while ago, Raveena had come to see me on some important work; she just left my office. She would be completing her final-year in Psychology, now. So, instinctively, I asked her the obvious: “What next, beta?”

I feel happy when I meet many young-kids, like Raveena, who are not only head-strong, but heart-strong, as well. I was impressed about her plans and I advised her to start writing, too.

Probably, Raveena wasn't prepared for it. So, she asked me, sincerely, “Sir, what should I write on. I am yet to come out of college?”

“Write your experiences and observations, write about your beliefs and doubts; write about how you intend to go about your life... how you want to succeed, serve, heal, touch... Tell your story: Why you chose Arts and Psychology... Whether or not you felt fulfilled with your decision... Whether or not you see a future in it... Write about your ideals, your big dreams... and simple ways of being happy in life and so on...”

Raveena’s face lit-up. “A Psychologist has so much to share, so much to give, that writing will help you to reach out a large audience,” I told Raveena. “Look at the books written by psychologists, look at the articles in newspapers and magazines... You need to create a niche for yourself. So, start writing every day, even if it is a short piece.”


The world wouldn't know if a soul called Gerry or Raveena exist somewhere in this world. But, what Gerry has, the world needs, and needs badly. So is the case with Raveena... What she has, as a young-brilliant psychologist, the world needs badly... And, how would the world come to know about me and Raveena, about you – the accountant or the artist... the dancer, singer, architect, designer, athlete, administrator, lawyer, banker or businessman?

There is no shame in letting the world know, “Hello world, I am here with my special stuff,” or, “Hello world, I am available!”

Call it self-promotion or net-working – or, for that matter, blowing one's own trumpet – it is perfectly fine; there is nothing wrong in it...

In Life, the young-kids must learn to promote their skills and talents. They must learn to net-work smartly. They should never wait for some Good Samaritan to walk into their college campus and pick them up... ‘place’them...

I say, “Learn to ‘place yourself’ where you truly belong!”

As it is said, in Life, the finest things come, always, free. The heart is the place to dig those fine things, those great treasures...

Trust me, that’s so for a teacher like me or a psychologist like Raveena... or a dreamer like you...

Then why wait to become a ‘somebody’ to write ten lines a day on something straight from this great mine?

The early you learn to dig this treasure, the longer you will live richer!

“Good luck, beta Raveena.”


* The name changed


GERLAD D’CUNHA



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...