"PEACE DOESN'T REQUIRE TWO PEOPLE"















Pic.: Malabika Ganguly




“All the advice you ever gave your partner (or anyone) is for you to hear.” 

One of the thoughts I have, always, believed in is this: The basics of every chapter I teach are very important; therefore, my students should not miss the initial lectures of every chapter… particularly the first lecture.

So, I keep reminding them about it, much in advance. “Look guys, I will be starting this chapter on such and such date. If you miss the basics, you will find it very difficult to cope up later. So, come what may, please don’t remain absent.”

Now, most of them don’t miss. Mercifully, because, they have realized the meaning and value of my advice. But, some of them do miss and walk into the class, the following lecture, as if my advice - or warning, whatever it is - meant nothing to them!

And, look at my behavior. If I operate from my rigid belief that they’ had to’ attend the class come tsunami or come volcano… yes, if I believe in my own such thought, I would end up bringing in my class either a tsunami or a volcano! 

Jesus Christ, save my students…  For, their teacher is angry!

Who caused my anger, now?

I was reading Byron Katie’s book ‘Loving What Is’, once again, today and these lines stood before me:


“A thought is harmless unless we believe it. It’s not our thoughts, but our attachment to our thoughts, that causes suffering. Attaching to a thought means believing that it’s true, without inquiring. A belief is a thought that we’ve been attaching to, often for years.” 


Mrs. Katie adds:

“In my experience, we don't make thoughts appear, they just appear. One day, I noticed that their appearance just wasn't personal. Noticing that really makes it simpler to inquire.” 


Two days ago, in one of my batches, I was to teach a new chapter. Before that, I had played the familiar gramophone – ‘come-what-may-don’t-miss-the-first-lecture’ - in the class several times to ‘warn’ my students not to invite trouble for themselves… And, today, a couple of them, who had missed the ‘first lecture’, blissfully walked into the class as if everything was okay… Yes, as if a tsunami or a volcano had nothing to do with their presence or absence!

They were right… The tsunami or the volcano in my class had nothing to do with what my young-students chose to do… It only had something to with what I chose to do!

The class went on amazingly… All was well… All peaceful!

“Peace doesn't require two people;” I heard Mrs. Katie concluding, “It requires only one. It has to be YOU...  The problem begins and ends there.” 



GERALD D’CUNHA

Comments

Vishaka Pundit said…
So soothing, so true!! - Vishaka Pundit

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...