O GOD, MAY MY ENEMY LIVE LONG... AND STRONG!







Pic.: Malabika Ganguly


So often, I catch myself praying: “O God, may my enemy die soon!”

Well, God understands why I want my enemy to go soon: So that my problems, pain and suffering – my hell – can go with him!

Anybody who tortures me unreasonably and relentlessly is my enemy. Because I want to be free from pain and suffering, I want my enemy to go, die soon…

And, God understands my feelings… I reason out!

But, interestingly, God does exactly the opposite… He lets my enemy live long and strong… so that I can experience ‘hell’ a lot longer before I myself go, I myself die…

So, all my enemies are going great guns… It seems, the shorter the life I wish for them, the longer the life they get!

Amen.

So, someone has advised me to do the opposite… Pray: “O God, may my enemy live long!”

This seems to be working…

The longer the life I wish for them, the shorter the life they get!

What a trick! How strange God’s ways are!


Well, let me be serious…

People who torture me unreasonably and relentlessly do exist in my life… and, the pain and suffering is a truth, a reality. I am desiring to see my pain and suffering go is, also, a truth… I am praying for God’s help is the truth, again…

I am angry with my tormentor?

I am wishing for their destruction?

Yes, all this is going on in my mind… all this is a reality. It is truth.

But, when the smoke settles and the screen is clear, what hits me as a greater truth is this: My enemy, my tormentor has come in my life to make me a finer, wiser and stronger human being. A lot humbler, a lot compassionate…

Trust me, this is a greater truth… The longer my enemy lives, the better it is for me…

Thus, I pray, today, this:

“O God, blessed be my enemy.”

Will this prayer reach God? … I don’t know…

But, I know for sure, that it will reach my enemy!

The hell will end… The hell ‘will’ end!



GERALD D’CUNHA





Comments

Jeet said…
Remember this quote: "Holding anger in us like drinking poison with the hope that our enemy will die!"---- Jeet

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...