TIME AND TIDE WAIT FOR NONE






Pic.: Malabika Ganguly


An expression I, often, use in my class – and use it with quite a lot of force – is this one:

“Time and tide wait for none!”

Yes, it is a very, very old one.


Some of my students have a thick skin… No matter how much I remind them, coax them, cajole them and, even, threaten them, they keep bunking the classes, keep skipping the home-work… and, yes, they keep getting it from me:
“Look honey, time and tide won’t wait for you.”

And, I am, here, on another chapter… What is gone is gone!

“Time and tide did not wait for Kajol Sharma*,” I teased at the end of my class today. Kajol had joined my twelfth-standard class just some two months ago, when I had done with, almost, eighty percent of my syllabus. I had told her not to miss any lectures, particularly, my revision lectures, where she could cover-up whatever she had missed. But, then, Kajol being Kajol, would let it in from the left one and let it out from the right. One day, she would appear… at the end of the class, I would remind her, “Sweetheart, remember, time and tide won’t wait for you!”

“Yes sir,” Kajol would promise me, “I will remember.”

The next lecture, I would look around and wonder, “What happened to my sweetheart’s promise?”

So, today, was one such day… Kajol had chosen to miss one more chapter… and, with that, one more opportunity…

“Time and tide did not wait for Kajol Sharma,” I told the class just before it ended…

Madam Kajol was shaking her head, “I know sir, I know… I know!”


Earlier, in the morning, while I was coming to my class, I saw a very pitiable sight. 72-year-old Mr. Kapoor* was being helped by his daughter to take his next step on the land! Now, just a year ago, this man had gone about his life as if he was Achilles – immortal, invincible! He was very adamant, very aggressive… His ego would never allow him to compromise with anyone, anytime… It was, always, “My way, or highway.”  It was, always, “I know the law.” People hated him for his holier-than-thou ego, almost, leaving him live a life of recluse. But, Mr. Kapoor chose to live in his ivory tower the way he did… causing stress to others through his relentless harassment… It seemed, while others suffered it, he thoroughly enjoyed it… He was a hardcore sadist!

So, this morning, when I saw Mr. Kapoor, who was being helped by his daughter to take his next step on the land… I couldn't’ believe my eyes! “Is it he – the same Mr. Kapoor?” I was asking myself…

Yes sir, it was he – the same Mr. Kapoor!

The time and tide hadn't waited for Mr. Kapoor, either!

One more important class was just over!

*Names changed


GERALD D’CUNHA


Comments

Neena Pinto said…
That is my fav expression too Gerry, thanks. Neena
Bharat Rane said…
Man should be aware of his fallible nature, be humble. Great piece.

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...