I COULD TOUCH THIS WAY, TOO... I COULD GIFT THIS WAY, TOO

















Pic.: Asha D'Souza



More than half of the class was empty, last evening and this morning. And, my blood was boiling inside. “How can they behave so insensitively,” I was seething, “even after repeatedly reminding them not to miss.”

Many of them were serial offenders… They would do exactly what they wanted to… bunk or attend my class not as I wanted them to, not as their parents wanted them to… but, as they wanted to…

But, then, my mind was unwilling to come to terms with this reality: “I am the one who they should listen to, not the other way around,” the argument went on in my mind, “They must be made to understand their mistake… If gentle words don’t enter their thick skin, I should use the harsh ones… Some shock-treatment!”

So, all through my lectures, both last evening and this morning, I was boiling within… “I will call them today, and give them a piece of my mind,”… “I would make them sit extra and complete the work in the class,”… “I would call their parents and let them know what is happening,”… “I would serve the final warning,”… “I would do this and I would do that…” and son on….


All this was happening in my boiling mind… I couldn't accept the fact that I was losing the hold on my students, on my class… I wanted it to go the way I wanted, not as my students wanted…


Tomorrow will be Christmas Eve, and the day after will be Christmas. I would not be working for these two days… At the end of the class, I wished my students – who were present – “Merry Christmas”…

And, suddenly, I was wondering, “What about the ones who have bunked? Do I need to send my greetings to them, as well? Or, do I need to send a stern word to them or their parents… and let them know how angry and mad I was?”

And, it happened: My anger, irritation and madness – all these dropped in a flash! I was okay with their mass-bunking… “It is not a big deal,” I started smiling in my heart, “Let them have fun during their Christmas holidays.”

Would this approach help my bunking - the ‘irresponsible’ and the ‘insensitive’ – students? As a teacher, would I do justice to my own responsibility?


There are many ways in which I can try to of change my ‘thick-skinned’ students… and, there are many ways in which I can give Christmas gifts.  Today, when I wished – and meant it deeply – “Merry Christmas” – to those who had made my blood boil… I, indeed, felt I was touching their lives; and, yes, I felt I was giving them my best Christmas gift, ever!

Merry Christmas to all!


GERALD D’CUNHA




Comments

Nilesh D'Mello said…
An appropriate post for christmas. Thank-you.

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...