IF ALONE THE FISH KNEW IT WAS A BAIT!













Pic.: Usha Prasad


Not a single moment passes by without an urge in me to react: say something strongly to someone… That someone can be my own spouse, son, student, relative, friend, an associate, a neighbor, or, even, a stranger… There is this urge in me to say something strongly…

An urge is a craving of my mind… a compulsion… an addiction… an instinctive habit… It is my weakness. Whenever I consciously abstain from saying what I want to say mechanically, instinctively… yes, whenever I use my discretion, better judgment, I can sense the feeling of self-confidence in my heart… I feel the power and strength… I feel I am in charge… 

Yes, if just holding back a few strong comments, here and there, can give me that sense of well-being… Then, imagine, if I can keep abstaining from reacting more and more and more!

Like everyone else, I, too, know that all my thoughts and feelings need not be – and should not be – expressed. Similarly, all my opinions need not be – and should not be -  expressed… For, many of my thoughts and feelings come up from my deep conditioning, my biases. Ditto for my opinions… So, when I consciously choose to abstain from expressing them, I am in a position to get in touch with the space from which my urges and cravings spring up…

And, yes, whenever I am able to see that, I feel immensely strong, confident… and, even, compassionate…

With that, I have realized one more thing: till I don’t reach that state, I am unable to deal with the reactive behavior of those around me… You know, we cannot stop them from thinking, feeling and reacting in a certain way. They do that from their own conditionings and biases. But, because, I have that quiet strength now, I am in a position to deal with their reactions…

Yes, I don’t have to react to every reaction of others… no matter who they are, and how caustic their reactions are… I don’t’ have to express my opinion even though others think I should…

For my inner peace and confidence, I must learn to abstain from my indulgences… of body, mind and soul…

And, the best ‘time’ to start it from is - NOW…  The best ‘place’ to start it from is – HERE!

If alone the fish knew it was a bait!


GERALD D’CUNHA

Comments

Nitin Das said…
Nice post, very reassuring.

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...