WHO LOOKS OUTSIDE, DREAMS; WHO LOOKS INSIDE, AWAKENS












Pic.: Chetna Shetty





“Your vision will become clear only when you look into your heart.
Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakens.”

- Carl Jung


The Dawn Club had completed twenty-five years in 2014. I had been telling all my well-wishers that I had this dream to build an institution – THE DAWN CLUB CENTRE OF EXCELLENCE – to carry forward the work I had started twenty-five years ago. Yes, to carry it forward as an institution and leave an enduring legacy. Though I had been passionately talking about it to scores of my well-wishers, who were keen to support me all the way, something seemed to hold me back… I would find it mysterious to figure it out…

Was it a fear deep down… the familiar fear of failure… What if I fail?
Was it the lack of clarity of vision?
Was it the lack of clearly-defined ‘product’… What we wanted to offer as an institution?
Was it the lack of a very animated and equally-passionate team?
Was it destiny… Its ‘time’ had not come?
Or, was it something else?

Yes, I had been thinking about it… What holds me back? Why am going slow, dead slow on my ‘dream’?

One of my well-wishers had been an elderly teacher, who had, always, believed in my work and had, relentlessly, encouraged me not to give up on my dream to build this institution. Today is new-year. Early in the morning, this adorable gentleman called up to wish me… “Fear should never hold you back, my dear Gerry,” he charged me up, “We all experience fear when we dream.” He continued, “It is your passion that is going to see you through… and, you have loads and loads of passion. Don’t’ ever retreat.”

Of all the things I would pray for when the new Sun emerged, today, this was the one I would pray to God first “Dear God, help me remain true to my heart!”

The kind teacher summed it up, “Gerry remember this: Institutions are, seldom, built by bricks and mortar. They are built by men and women who are fired by the clarity of vision, the charity of heart and spirit of co-operation. God bless.”

I went into a long silence after this call ended!

Scores of new-year messages had, already, poured in and they were still pouring in… Every message would wish me success, prosperity, happiness and peace. I, too, was wishing the same to others… But, then, this one message had done a lot to me, today…

Probably, Carl Jung’s words carried an answer for my problem:

“Your vision will become clear only when you look into your heart.
Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakens.”

How true, “Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakens!”

Many years ago, Lisa Fittifaldi, had said:

“Blindness took away my sight, but gave me clarity of vision.
It took blindness to teach me the meaning of love and friendship.”

Answer was concealed in Lisa's words, as well… which bring the same message home as Jung’s do…

That, I need to be blind to the world outside… and awaken to the world inside… Yes, to understand not only the meaning of love and friendship, but, also, how to build an enduring legacy around them…

An ‘institution’, if I chose to call it!


A happy new-year to you all... May all your dreams come true!


GERALD D’CUNHA


Comments

Anil D'Souza said…
Inspiring as always. Keep writing

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...