CYNICISM IS THE PARALYSIS OF OUR HEARTS






Pic.: Nirmala Sundar


Where does our cynicism come from?


I think, it comes from our disappointments and frustrations.

I watch myself, closely, every time I tend to become cynical – and, let me tell you this: I do pass through my own share of cynical bouts umpteen times in life – and notice that my heart is not strong enough to withstand the disappointments and frustrations stemming from various setbacks… the temporary defeats, unfair criticism from people around, lack of loyalty and integrity from people around, lack of appreciation and loss of love… yes, I notice, that whenever I experience any of these setbacks, if my heart is not strong enough to withstand the pain and the shock, I, invariably, tend to sulk… go into my shell and conclude, “What is the point?”… “No use.”

Mercifully, in my case, the bouts of cynicism are sporadic… Like the dark clouds in the sky, they appear, stay there for a while… and, then, they go…

But, go they will!

So, what saves us from going completely cynical in life?

I think, it is our incorrigible zest for life… and, our indomitable will…

Yes, our indomitable will to bounce back from our setbacks… our rock-solid faith in the goodness of life…

That, for every devil around us, there are a dozen angels…

That, for every door that slams, there are a dozen doors that open…

That, our past bitter experience can, at best, should only help us look for new road-maps…

That, Life carries with it the inherent potential of outwitting the greatest of tragedies and sorrows…

That, Life is an eternal, bright promise…


If my life has problems, if our society has problems… I must truly, truly, truly believe that there are ways to solve these problems… And, I should have a blazing desire to solve them… backed by my herculean will…

“Where there is a will, there is a way.” It is not a meaningless mumbling of olden times…

There can never be a way, if there is no will…

Thus, every time, I tend to become bitter and frustrated, and, thereby, cynical… I look up to the skies and say, “Hey, the dark clouds are there on a temporary visit… Hang on there… The sky will be bright soon!”

My will does it…

My desire does it…

My zest does it…

My trust in the goodness people and life does it…


Cynicism is the paralysis of our hearts…  It cripples us completely… Yes, unless we are strong-willed.



GERALD D’CUNHA



Comments

Bhavesh Shah said…
Inspiring!
Thankyou
Viraj Desai said…
We tend to become cynical due to disappointments and frustrations in life as pointed out by you. Nice post.

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"WE CHOOSE OUR JOYS AND SORROWS LONG BEFORE WE EXPERIENCE THEM."

WHEN A BIRD IS ALIVE, IT EATS ANTS... WHEN THE BIRD DIES, ANTS EAT THE BIRD

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...