ASK YOURSELF WHAT MAKES YOU COME ALIVE






















Pic.: Amrita Jeurkar



“Don’t ask yourself what the world needs; ask yourself
what makes you come alive. And then go and do that.
Because, what the world needs is people who have come alive.” 

— Howard Thurman


“A lot of passion goes into it… A lot of focus and commitment, a lot of discipline and people-skill and, above all, you need that fire in your belly to succeed, to excel. Mind you, I haven’t still said, ‘you need ‘talent’…”

Yes, I told this to a young student of mine, this morning. Andrew Rieu’s magical piece (video) – ‘Nightingale Serenade’ was being played on my PC as the young-man walked into my office. . Apparently, he had not heard of the great composer or his music. So, he asked me innocently, “Sir who is he?”

“Andrew Rieu,” I said, “Not heard of him?”

“No sir,” the boy said sincerely, “But, this piece is just amazing.”

“Yes, all his music is amazing; He is one of my favorites… Can’t have enough of him,”  “I said to my student. Then, a pause later, I asked him, “What, in your view, makes any work – not just music – so amazing, so brilliant?”

“Hard work sir and loads of luck,” the young-man did not wait to reply.

“Anything else?” I probed.

“Maybe, a lot of support from others… Maybe lots of practice… I am just guessing, sir,” the boy was quite sincere.

“Do you have any dream – some burning dream – to become somebody in life?” I asked lovingly our young-man, “Are you aware of any God-given talent… something that you know you are gifted with, love doing naturally… and love doing it without being coaxed?”

“Well, writing,” the young-boy told me quickly, “I feel happiest when I express myself through my writings… It comes to me naturally and, it makes me feel confident and fulfilled.”

“So, if you have to take this talent of yours further… allow it to unfold to the fullest, the way Andrew Rieu has allowed his music talent to unfold – yes, in your view, what does it take?”

Before our young-man could answer my question, I wanted to tell him this: “A lot of passion goes into it… A lot of focus and commitment, a lot of discipline and people-skill and, above all, you need that fire in your belly to succeed, to excel. And, I haven’t still said, ‘you need ‘talent’!”

We both watched the video – ‘Nightingale Serenade’ – one more time. And, like thousands in the audience did, we soaked in it with mind and heart coming to a standstill!






GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic.: Amrita Jeurkar


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...