THE SUPPERTIME








Pic.: Chetna Shetty



Many of us know, that Gandhi would find strength and courage to deal with the most challenging times in his life on immersing in his favorite hymns… ‘Vaishnav Jan to’ and the Christian hymn ‘Abide With Me’ are two most influences in his life.

Martin Luther King Jr. had his favorites… Tagore had his own…

Yes, you and I have our own…

In the midst of the worst of my moments, and in the thick of my confusion, often, I go back to some of my favorite hymns… I do not need to be in a cathedral for it… I do not need an altar or a choir around me… All that I need is my quiet space… all by myself… with the load of all my problems and confusion weighing over my head… and, my favorite hymn sung by one of my favorite singers…

Today, it was ‘Suppertime’… the timeless hymn sung by legendary bass singer, George Younce. This version, particularly, moved me to tears… and made me soar with confidence… because, it was so amazingly performed by him on stage despite his fragile health conditions (heart and kidney)… Just watch at the playful spirit of the man… Just listen to the might of his voice, his talent…Just feel the life he puts into his craft… yes, till the last days of his life!

And, when I saw the young singers around him – probably half a century younger than he was – going on their knees to sing along, my heart stopped!

In September, 2004, George Younce made his final stage appearance. It was as a surprise guest at a Bill Gaither event in Cleveland. There, he sang his signature song, the magical ‘Suppertime’ – yes, one for the last time… And, to the spell-bound packed audience, he said: “Should the Master come tonight, I’m packed and ready to go.”

George Younce, the one of his kind, the legend, died on April, 11, 2005. He was 75. Over 1,500 people attended his funeral, where the finest singers sang to pay their tribute to the tallest of them all. Bill Gaither’s (a legend himself and who held George as his Hero) wife, Gloria, paid her touching homage:

“He taught us to laugh until you cry, live until you’re free... and not to save face, but save relationships.”

So, here are the lyrics and here is the song, the hymn - ‘Suppertime’… and, here is my own tribute… to the man, the talent… the legend. GEORGE WILSON YOUNCE.


When I was but a boy in days of childhood
I used to play till evening shadows come.
Then winding down an old familiar pathway
I heard my mother call at set of sun

Come home, come home
It's supper time
The shadows lengthen fast.
Come home, come home,
It's supper time
We're going home at last.

One day beside her bedside I was kneeling,
And angel wings were winnowing through the air.
She heard her call for supper time in heaven
And now I know she's waiting for me there.

Come home, come home

It's supper time
The shadows lengthen fast.
Come home, come home,
It's supper time,
We're going home at last.

In visions now I see her standing yonder,
And her familiar voice I hear once more.
The banquet table's ready up in heaven,
It's supper time upon that golden shore.

Come home, come home
It's supper time,
The shadows lengthen fast.
Come home, come home,
It's supper time,
We're going home at last.

We're going home at last.






GERALD D’CUNHA


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...