THE TIGER AND THE COW







Pic.: Mini Milind


Years ago, when I had decided to do something about my poor English, one of the things I did – and found it very useful – was telling a nice story in two tenses… Past and Present. Over the years, I have helped hundreds of people who were earnest to improve their English with the same method… Yes, write a nice story down in both the tenses… and tell it to someone.

I like this little story immensely. It helps me remain aligned to some of the values I believe in. When everyone around keeps telling me, certain people cannot be trusted, when everyone around me keeps telling me to make a ‘fast kill’… I remember this story… My sweet first-standard teacher had dramatized it as a musical…

Incidentally, my teacher’s name was Mrs. Satyawati… The truthful one.



THE TIGER AND THE COW



PAST:


One late evening, a cow was returning to her home through a jungle. A hungry tiger came to attack her. She was the ideal dinner for the hungry tiger.

 “Master,” the cow cried before the hungry and fierce tiger, “I know you are hungry and need me for your dinner.” She continued, “But, please be little kind. I have my little child at home, who is hungry and waiting for me to come and feed. Please allow me to do it… I promise to you that I will come back and offer myself for your dinner.”

Obviously, the tiger did not believe the cow. It said, “You think I should believe you? Remember, I am not a fool.”

“Trust me Master, I will not go back on my word.” The cow pleaded. “Have mercy on my little child… I will return to you after I feed and send my child to sleep.”

“It is hard for me to trust,” the tiger announced. “I will not let you go.”

“Please my Master… for my little one’s sake,” the cow kept pleading, “Trust me, I will come back to you. I will not break my promise.”

“Alright then,” the angry tiger roared, “remember, if you break your promise, I shall have your child too along with you for my dinner. Understand?”

The cow thanked the tiger and headed towards her home.

After feeding its child and sending it to sleep, the cow proceeded back to the tiger. By now, the tiger had already concluded in his mind that the cow would not return. So, when he saw the cow back before him, he was shocked! “It is unbelievable,” he exclaimed in his mind, “What a rare species is this!”

“Master, I have come… I have kept my promise,” the cow said gently. “Please take your dinner.”

The tiger’s heart melted at this. “No, I cannot do that with you. You are too good, too honest to be harmed.”

“My Maser, it is late and you must be hungry,” the cow cried, “please take me for your dinner.”

“I am moved by your honesty, O the truthful one,” the tiger repeated, “Please go back to your little one.”

The cow, too, was touched by the tiger’s gesture. She thanked him profusely and returned to her home.


.
PRESENT:


One late evening, a cow is returning to her home through a jungle. A hungry tiger comes to attack her. She is the ideal dinner for the hungry tiger.

 “Master,” the cow cries before the hungry and fierce tiger, “I know you are hungry and need me for your dinner.” She continues, “But, please be little kind. I have my little child at home, who is hungry and waiting for me to come and feed. Please allow me to do it… I promise to you that I will come back and offer myself for your dinner.”

Obviously, the tiger does not believe the cow. It says, “You think I should believe you? Remember, I am not a fool.”

“Trust me Master, I will not go back on my word.” The cow pleads. “Have mercy on my little child… I will return to you after I feed and send my child to sleep.”

“It is hard for me to trust,” the tiger announces. “I will not let you go.”

“Please my Master… for my little one’s sake,” the cow keeps pleading, “Trust me, I will come back to you. I will not break my promise.”

“Alright then,” the angry tiger roars “remember, if you break your promise, I shall have your child too along with you for my dinner. Understand?”

The cow thanks the tiger and headed towards her home.

After feeding its child and sending it to sleep, the cow proceeds back to the tiger. By now, the tiger has already concluded in his mind that the cow will not return. So, when he sees the cow back before him, he is shocked! “It is unbelievable,” he exclaims in his mind, “What a rare species is this!”

“Master, I have come… I have kept my promise,” the cow says gently. “Please take your dinner.”

The tiger’s heart melts at this. “No, I cannot do that with you. You are too good, too honest to be harmed.”

“My Maser, it is late and you must be hungry,” the cow cries, “please take me for your dinner.”

“I am moved by your honesty, O the truthful one,” the tiger repeats, “Please go back to your little one.”

The cow, too, is touched by the tiger’s gesture. She thanks him profusely and returns to her home.



GERALD D'CUNHA


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...