WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU DRINK TOO MUCH






Pic.: Azriel D'Souza



Years ago, when I had decided to do something about my poor English, one of the things I did – and found very effective – was telling a nice story in two tenses… the Present and the Past. Over the years, I have helped hundreds of people, who were earnest about improving their English, with the same method… Yes, write a nice story down in both the tenses… and, then, tell it to someone…

I was in my early twenties when I read this ‘inspiring’ story in one of Dr. Wayne Dyer’s books.  In fact, his book started with this story!

I have loved this story, ever since…




WHAT HAPPENS
IF YOU DRINK TOO MUCH


PAST:


Once, a very famous motivational-speaker – call him a ‘Life-coach’ – had come to transform the lives of a group of chronic alcoholics. It was believed that the man, with his charm and power, could compel the addicts to kick the bottle once and for all…

So, our miracle-man stood before the group of alcoholics with a demonstration, which, he was dead convinced, could do the trick…

He placed on the table two glass jars - one filled with crystal-clear water, the other with pure, undiluted liquor.

Then, the speaker opened a box of worms. He pulled one long worm and dropped it in the first jar which contained pure water. To everyone’s delight, the worm gently swam through the water and settled on one side of the glass jar…

There was a long applause!

Next, the speaker pulled another worm and dropped it in the second jar which contained undiluted spirit… And, even before anyone could blink, the worm disintegrated into a thousand pieces!

There was a stunned silence in the room!

A long pause later, the speaker asked, “What did you learn from this, my friends?”

Instantly, a hand went up, from the last row… It was Johnny.

“Yes Johnny, “the speaker said extremely impressed, “tell me, what did you learn.”

“Sir, I learnt,” Johnny tried to explain, unable to stand firmly on the ground…

“Yes, Johnny…”

“Sir I learnt…”

“Tell me, what did you learn?”

“Sir, I learnt,” Johnny was, finally, able to hold himself straight, “that, if we drink the way we do…”

“Yes, yes, tell me Johnny…”

“Sir, if we drink the way we do…”

“What will happen?”

“ALL THE WORMS IN OUR STOMACH WOULD DIE!”



PRESENT:


Once, a very famous motivational-speaker – call him a ‘Life-coach’ – has come to transform the lives of a group of chronic alcoholics. It is believed that the man, with his charm and power, can compel the addicts to kick the bottle once and for all…

So, our miracle-man stands before the group of alcoholics with a demonstration, which, he is dead convinced, can do the trick…

He places on the table two glass jars - one filled with crystal-clear water, the other with pure, undiluted liquor.

Then, the speaker opens a box of worms. He pulls one long worm and dropps it in the first jar which contained pure water. To everyone’s delight, the worm gently swims through the water and settles on one side of the glass jar…

There is a long  applause!

Next, the speaker pulls another worm and dropps it in the second jar which contained undiluted spirit… And, even before anyone can blink, the worm disintegrates into a thousand pieces!

There is a stunned silence in the room!

A long pause later, the speaker asks, “What did you learn from this, my friends?”

Instantly, a hand goes up, from the last row… It is Johnny.

“Yes Johnny, “the speaker says extremely impressed, “tell me, what did you learn.”

“Sir, I learnt,” Johnny tries to explain, unable to stand firmly on the ground…

“Yes, Johnny…”

“Sir I learnt…”

“Tell me, what did you learn?”

“Sir, I learnt,” Johnny is, finally, able to hold himself straight, “that, if we drink the way we do…”

“Yes, yes, tell me Johnny…”

“Sir, if we drink the way we do…”

“What will happen?”

“ALL THE WORMS IN OUR STOMACH WOULD DIE!”



GERALD D'CUNHA


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...