THE SCHOLAR AND THE BOATMAN









Pic.: Avinash Mantri



Years ago, when I had decided to do something about my poor English, one of the things I did – and found very effective – was telling a nice story in two tenses… the Present and the Past. Over the years, I have helped hundreds of people, who were earnest about improving their English, with the same method… Yes, write a nice story down in both the tenses… and, then, tell it to someone…

I had this story in my primary school text- book… It makes me feel that I am still in Life’s primary school!



THE SCHOLAR
AND THE BOATMAN


PAST:

One day, a village boatman was rowing a scholar to the other side of a river. As the boatman was doing his job quietly, the scholar asked him: “Have you studied the Vedas?”

"No sir, I haven’t,” the poor boatman replied.

"What? You've wasted your life," the arrogant scholar shouted.

"Can you not speak Sanskrit?

"No sir; I cannot."

"Ayyo Rama, what a waste of life!"

"What about reading and writing… at least, you must be able to do them?"

"Sir, I am a poor soul of this village; I have never entered the gates of a school."

"It is a criminal waste of life, indeed!"

By now, the boat had reached the deep-middle of the river. A ferocious wind blew, causing a violent storm, and the boat began to go down. The ‘highly-learned’ man was all panic personified, and he began to tremble. "Please help me; please save me," he cried for help before the calm and composed boatman.

"Have you learnt swimming, sir?" the illiterate and poor boatman asked.

"No, I haven't," the scholar begged for help.

"What a waste of life!" the poor man threw his hands up, as the boat went down, taking along the arrogant.



PRESENT:


(One day), a village boatman is rowing a scholar to the other side of a river. As the boatman is doing his job quietly, the scholar asks him: “Have you studied the Vedas?”

"No sir, I haven’t,” the poor boatman replies.

"What? You've wasted your life," the arrogant scholar shouts.

"Can you not speak Sanskrit?

"No sir; I cannot."

"Ayyo Rama, what a waste of life!"

"What about reading and writing… at least, you must be able to do them?"

"Sir, I am a poor soul of this village; I have never entered the gates of a school."

"It is a criminal waste of life, indeed!"

By now, the boat has reached the deep-middle of the river. A ferocious wind blows, causing a violent storm, and the boat begins to go down. The ‘highly-learned’ man is all panic personified, and he begins to tremble. "Please help me; please save me," he cries for help before the calm and composed boatman.

"Have you learnt swimming, sir?" the illiterate and poor boatman asks.

"No, I haven't," the scholar begs for help.

"What a waste of life!" the poor man throws his hands up, as the boat goes down, taking along the arrogant.



GERALD D’CUNHA

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...