WHAT LIES INSIDE THE BALLOON






Pic.: Anima D'Cunha

Years ago, when I had decided to do something about my poor English, one of the things I did – and found very effective – was telling a nice story in two tenses… the Present and the Past. Over the years, I have helped hundreds of people, who were earnest about improving their English, with the same method… Yes, write a nice story down in both the tenses… and, then, tell it to someone!

I find a lot of assurance in the following endearing story…  I can see myself in this innocent boy…  And I can, also, see myself in this balloon-seller…



WHAT LIES INSIDE
THE BALLOON

PAST:

In a town, there was a man who sold balloons of different colors. Whenever his business was down, he sent helium-filled balloons in the air. This attracted children from the surrounding places, and his business soared, once again…

One afternoon, a little Black boy asked the balloon-seller a very innocent question. Pointing at a black balloon, the boy asked, “Will this black balloon go high up in the sky just like the red, pink and yellow do?”

“Oh yes, my little boy, it will,” said the balloon-seller caressing the boy’s head. “Remember, what takes the balloon high up is not its color but what lies inside it!” 

PRESENT:

In a town, there is a man who sells balloons of different colors. Whenever his business is down, he sends helium-filled balloons in the air. This attracts children from the surrounding places and his business sours, once again…

One afternoon, a little Black boy asks the balloon-seller a very innocent question. Pointing at a black balloon, the boy asks, “Will this black balloon go high up in the sky just like the red, pink and yellow do?”

“Oh yes, my little boy, it will,” says the balloon-seller caressing the boy’s head. “Remember, what takes the balloon high up is not its color but what lies inside it!”

GERALD D’CUNHA

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...