THE CAMEL AND THE FOX









Pic..: Chetna Shetty


Years ago, when I had decided to do something about my poor English, one of the things I did – and found it very useful – was telling a nice story in two tenses… Past and Present. Over the years, I have helped hundreds of people who were earnest to improve their English with the same method… Yes, write a nice story down in both the tenses… and tell it to someone.

Every time I see a ‘fox’ around me, I think of this story… and, yes, I console myself!



THE CAMEL AND THE FOX

 PAST:

A camel and a fox had become friends. There was a sugarcane field on the other side of the river and, often, the camel carried the fox on his back across for food.

One day, after crossing the river, the camel slowly started munching the sugarcane while the fox quickly gobbled a couple of chicken from the farm. Once his stomach was full, the fox began to howl loudly.

“What are you doing?” cried the shocked camel, “I have not yet finished eating and you are inviting trouble for us.”

“You know what, my friend,” justified the fox with a broad mischief on his face, “I have this great habit of singing happily after a sumptuous meal.”

“But, what about the danger?” Before the camel could complete his sentence, the farmer was already there with a large stick in hand…

The fox, being agile and cunning, escaped, but the camel, being large and slow, got the nasty stick!

Finally, the camel managed to get into the river and quickly the fox jumped on camel’s back prodding, “Let’s go… Let’s go… Hurry!”

They had reached the middle of the river… and, all of a sudden, the camel started rolling in the water….

“Hey, what are you doing?” the fox yelled in fear, “You know I can’t swim.”

“You know what, my friend,” justified the camel with a broad mischief on his face, “I have this great habit of rolling happily in the water after a sumptuous meal.”

“But, what about the danger?” cried the fox… as he went down!



PRESENT:


A camel and a fox have become friends. There is a sugarcane field on the other side of the river and, often, the camel carries the fox on his back across for food.

One day, after crossing the river, the camel slowly starts munching the sugarcane while the fox quickly gobbles a couple of chicken from the farm. Once his stomach is full, the fox begins to howl loudly.

“What are you doing?” cries the shocked camel, “I have not yet finished eating and you are inviting trouble for us… You know very well that I can’t run.”

“You know what, my friend,” justifies the fox with a broad mischief on his face, “I have this great habit of singing happily after a sumptuous meal.”

“But, what about the danger?” Before the camel can complete his sentence, the farmer is already there with a large stick in hand…

The fox, being agile and cunning, escapes, but the camel, being large and slow, gets the nasty stick!

Finally, the camel manages to get into the river and quickly the fox jumps on camel’s back prodding, “Let’s go… Let’s go… Hurry!”

They have reached the middle of the river… and, all of a sudden, the camel starts rolling in the water….

“Hey, what are you doing?” the fox yells in fear, “You know very well I can’t swim.”

“You know what, my friend,” justifies the camel with a broad mischief on his face, “I have this great habit of rolling happily in the water after a sumptuous meal.”

“But, what about the danger?” cries the fox… as he goes down!



GERALD D’CUNHA

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

WHEN A BIRD IS ALIVE, IT EATS ANTS... WHEN THE BIRD DIES, ANTS EAT THE BIRD

"WE CHOOSE OUR JOYS AND SORROWS LONG BEFORE WE EXPERIENCE THEM."

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...