THE WOLF AND THE CRANE





Pic.: Azriel D'Souza



Years ago, when I had decided to do something about my poor English, one of the things I did – and found very effective – was telling a nice story in two tenses… the Present and the Past. Over the years, I have helped hundreds of people, who were earnest about improving their English, with the same method… Yes, write a nice story down in both the tenses… and, then, tell it to someone…

Good, for most of us, ‘The Lion and the Mouse’ story came much early in life… And this one – ‘The Wolf and the Crane’… well, it has come when we really needed it…




THE WOLF AND THE CRANE


PAST:

Once, a Wolf was in terrible pain... A bone was stuck in his throat. When he saw a Crane around, he pleaded before her to send her long bill down his throat and pull out the bone. The Wolf made a promise, “Trust me, my friend, I will reward you handsomely for your help.”

Convinced, the Crane quickly got into action. She placed her long bill in the mouth of the Wolf and took out the bone, quite effortlessly.

The Wolf was relieved. “Thanks for your prompt help,” he said to the Crane and began to dash off his way.

“Wait a minute, my friend,” cried out the Crane, “What about my reward?”

“Ah… What about your reward!” the Wolf turned back to answer, grinding his deadly teeth, “Well, my friend, you have won a good fortune, already. You can, now, go around boasting before the whole jungle, that you had the grit and the gumption to put your head in a Wolf’s mouth and yet could walk away scot-free!”




PRESENT:

Once, a Wolf is in terrible pain... A bone is stuck in his throat. When he sees a   Crane around, he pleads before her to send her long bill down his throat and pull out the bone. The Wolf makes a promise, “Trust me, my friend, I will reward you handsomely for your help.”

Convinced, the Crane quickly got into action. She placed her long bill in the mouth of the Wolf and took out the bone, quite effortlessly.

The Wolf was relieved. “Thanks for your prompt help,” he says to the Crane and begins to dash off his way.

“Wait a minute, my friend,” cries out the Crane, “What about my reward?”

“Ah… What about your reward!” the Wolf turns back to answer, grinding his deadly teeth, “Well, my friend, you have won a good fortune, already. You can, now, go around boasting before the whole jungle, that you had the grit and the gumption to put your head in a Wolf’s mouth and yet could walk away scot-free!”



GERALD D’CUNHA

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...