MAKE HAY WHEN THE SUN SHINES









“The sun doesn't just hang on one family's tree.”
-       Anchee Min



One thing I learnt, quite early in life, was to be crystal clear on what I wanted to be, as far as my vocation was concerned. I wanted to be a good teacher and I wanted to be a good writer… Because, the very thought of it made me feel happy and confident… I could see myself literally on my wings… I loved the idea of empowering young boys and girls… and, I had decided to do only that, come what may!


Being definite about one’s chief aim in life was the foundation lesson in Napoleon Hill’s ‘Think and Grow Rich’, the book that made the greatest impact on my life when I needed it the most. It was close to four decades ago. I was young and I was new to this city… I was dreaming constantly, and I was reading ‘Think and Grow Rich’, over and over again. I was staying with my uncle, who was a simple man. I did not want to put more burden on his family. So, after a four-month spell of ‘wandering and dreaming’, one morning, I had walked into Anushakti Nagar colony and begun to knock doors… “I want to teach eleventh and twelfth standard Commerce students”… I was burning with enthusiasm and confidence. And, because I had burnt all the bridges behind me – kept no options – yes, because I was hell-bent to succeed in achieving my definite goal of being a teacher, the doors opened for me!


Literally!


Yes, the doors opened!


 When you want something badly, all the Universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.” Well, I came across this famous quote of Paulo Coelho (in ‘The Alchemist’) much later in life. But, how Napoleon Hill drilled it into my head was: If you want to win the battle and the enemy looks overwhelming, burn all your boats… Now, you have to win or perish!


I had decided not to do anything else in life, but teaching. But, I did not want to teach in a college or institution run by someone else… I wanted to teach in my own little institution… I cherished my freedom… I abhorred the stereotype way of learning and teaching… I wanted to work the way my heart was longing to…


So, within a few days of walking into Anushakti Nagar, I had formed many small tuition groups. I was a few years older than my students… and, they loved the madness in this young man. It was easy to connect to them… Money was not important at all from the day one, though I needed it desperately… I loved teaching. Perhaps, at hindsight, I think, that was the magic wand I was using to make my place in this world…


I still use that!


Hardly a month or so into my plunge, one evening, a student of mine told me, that her classmate’s  (Radha's) father, Mr. Seshadri, the Principal of the Atomic Energy Junior College (which was located  in Anushakti Nagar)  wanted to see me. Even though I did not know why he wanted to see me, I went to meet him at his residence in the same colony. He said, that he had heard about me from his daughter and her friends. “Mrs. Geeta Kulkarni, our Accountancy lecturer, is scheduled to go on a three-month maternity leave,” Mr. Seshadri said, “We are looking for someone to teach in her place on a temporary basis… Are you willing to take it up?”


It took a while to sink in... On the one side, I had decided not to take up a teaching job in a college. On the other side, it could be a life-time break to make my mark. Anyway, it was a temporary posting, after which, I was free to go about the way I liked…


I said, “Yes Sir”!


Let me confess: This was the most crucial ‘Yes’ I had said in life… Had I not said ‘Yes’ that evening, the course of my journey would have been significantly different…


Geeta ma’am had decided to extend her leave. So, I had to complete the academic year. When the next academic year started, I was persuaded by the management to hang on for some more time. But, then, AEJC had already done the needful for me… I had become hugely popular among students. As I knew I would not continue to work in the college, I had begun to take bigger steps in setting up my own teaching space… A few months into the second academic year, I called it a day. A sweet send off awaited… It gave a great boost to my self-confidence…


I never looked back, after that!


But, paradoxically, I have ‘looked back’ with a sheer sense of awe at that ‘Lucky Break’ of mine. I have never ever believed in ‘luck’ in my life; I have only believed in ‘lucky breaks’ in life. But, a break becomes a ‘lucky break’ only if one is ‘prepared’ to grab it. When I look back, I can clearly see how ‘prepared’ I was… Hence, I was able to make use of this opportunity to my fullest advantage.

Blindly relying upon Lady Luck is like relying upon the Rabbit’s Foot, the lucky charm.  A wise one said, Depend on the rabbit's foot if you will; but remember, it didn't work for the rabbit.”

I look back and thank Geeta ma’am and her daughter Anita, who ma’am had conceived while going on leave. Ma’am became a dear friend and well-wisher of mine later. Anita, too, was in touch with me for some time. And, to both of them, I have said this many times: “I owe a debt to both of you”!

Geeta ma’am was a bit worried about my health. This afternoon, she and Anita (both are presently settled in Pune) came over to see me at my institute… I was delighted. And, yes, I said that again: “I owe you both a lifetime debt”!


(Geeta ma'am and her granddaughter, Ananya)


(Geeta ma'am, me and Anita)

Let lazy sleep over their pillow – ‘Luck’, the Rabbit’s Foot. Let me remain awake and make hay when the Sun shines, up there…

Yes, “The sun doesn't just hang on one family's tree,” you see. This, Anchee Min said.


GERALD D’CUNHA

Pic.: 1. Anil Bedi

Pics. 2 & 3 Anita Kulkarni

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MUTHU KODI KAWARI HADA

"HAPPILY EVER AFTER IS NOT A FAIRY-TALE... IT IS A CHOICE"

SELLING MIRRORS IN THE CITY OF THE BLIND

THE WILD, WAYSIDE FLOWERS
There is, always, something extra-ordinary in the wild, wayside flowers...